Thread: Looks like I killed the cut motor too....

Default Looks like I killed the cut motor too....

Well, I guess you pay for stupidity. I was doing a 12 hour carve the other night and got tired, thought I would let it finish on its own and went to bed. Carve shaft heated up and melted down and I came out to a z axis stall. I ordered a new shaft and got around to putting it in finally. I go through the user tests on all the axis, everything is fine. I go to test the cut motor and nothing. I flip the lid a few times in case it's the interlock and I can hear the cut motor bump a little, but not spin up. I guess the armature just got way too hot when the shaft melted down. I'll order a new cut motor tonight and put it on next week. The best learned lessons are also the most expensive....lol.

Of course, when it rains it pours. My desktop crashed, mother board failed. I spent the night recovering files over to my laptop last night. At least I had a back up computer!!!! Of course I couldn't find the power cord that goes with my transfer cable, so I had to hook up the old desk top and plug the hard drives into the power supply to get them to spin up and transfer the data. At least that one wasn't self inflicted.

On the up side, I don't have anything pressing to do with the CW right now....busily turning 50 pens for an order and then on to a bunch of bowls.

Just thought word of my misfortune might make everyone feel better about their problems today....have a good one!!!!

Doesn't make me feel better, just makes me feel empathetic my friend...

Hope things sort themselves out quickly and that you're up and running sooner than expected.

Have fun with the pens- having done a couple of 50-pen orders I can attest that one pen is fun, ten pens get you into a groove, 50 pens are WORK.

Lawrence

If the outer shell of the Cut Motor is in good shape it might be worth keeping and eating the core charge...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Doesn't make me feel better, just makes me feel empathetic my friend...

Hope things sort themselves out quickly and that you're up and running sooner than expected.

Have fun with the pens- having done a couple of 50-pen orders I can attest that one pen is fun, ten pens get you into a groove, 50 pens are WORK.

Lawrence
    I appreciate the empathy! I'm actually enjoying the pens, I love large orders. The only down side is that they are all purple heart. I cut up the rough stock for blanks and will be digging those evil splinters out for a week! Not to mention, it's a lot of sharpening time! I wish that just once someone would order 50 red heart pens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    If the outer shell of the Cut Motor is in good shape it might be worth keeping and eating the core charge...

AL
    Thanks for the tip Al, I will probably go that route. It would actually be pretty nice to have a couple of motors sitting around in the shop. Eventually I will have two of everything...lol.

Hmmm, I can't find the cut motor online. Am I getting senile? Maybe I have to call CW to order it?

Found it...

(link removed, because they are NOT available).
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 06-24-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: removed link
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Not available online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Could be brushes?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Not available online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See my link below.....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.