Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "name that wood!!"

Default "name that wood!!"

I finally found a local wood provider. He is an avid woodworker and mills trees brought to him, or goes to your house and mills them. He has a lot of wood! Today, I was invited into the inner sanctum... his personal stash of some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen! After drooling all over the curly Birch, and Spalted Hickory, not to mention the crazy exotics that I can't pronounce. Zebra wood, tiger wood,Ebony, Ivory wood, it was a very impressive collection and his knowledge of each wood was seemed limitless. Seemed being the key word. He had a stack of heavily figured almost oak grained wood. But the base is white and the Grain goes from creamy caramel color, to almost a walnut color. The grain has some spalting. And the grain is surrounded by a purple hue. When I asked him what it was, he laughed and said, "You got me! I haven't a clue!" He sold me a piece of it, and I could tell he was unsure about selling it to me. He made me promise not to use anything but Danish Oil to finish it. the board 15.5" wide, 1.25" thick and 78" long. He sold it to me for $30!! I am saving it for something special! Maybe a Christmas present for LOML. I thought I would post it here, and get a consensus of what it might be. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20120902_192214.jpg   IMG_20120902_192227.jpg   IMG_20120902_192237.jpg   IMG_20120902_192309.jpg  

IMG_20120902_192316.jpg  

I've got some of that in my shop as a matter of fact

latin name
    lignum dunnous

"dunno" wood.

It takes on several different forms, and the bark can look quite different. It works quite well for small boxes, pen blanks, and tool handles.

If all else fails and you are seriously curious, you can send up to 5 samples per year to the forestry service for identification for free (as long as you are a US citizen)

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/ce...dfactsheet.php

of course I'm kidding on the latin name, but am actually serious about the free id from the forestry service.
    Lawrence

Strangely enough... I think I found it! Maybe Spalted HackBerry? I would really love to know! But not badly enough to send a 1 x 3 x 6 sample... I am gonna hoard this board! LOL

I don't know whar kind of wood it is, but it is beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Great find
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Good for you, badbert. It sounds like you received a great deal and it sure is a beautiful piece of wood. Not sure what kind it is, but it will certainly make a beautiful project. I agree with your thoughts for a special one....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Find the post from Ibewiggin around October 10 2011. He can tell you about carving mystery wood and what can happen. DO BE CAREFULL
    G.P.

Looks a Little like swamp ash is it lightweight?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Looks a Little like swamp ash is it lightweight?
    They have medicine for that LG! I prefer anti-monkey butt powder myself. I hate when I get swamp-ash. LOL No it is heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaPam View Post
    Find the post from Ibewiggin around October 10 2011. He can tell you about carving mystery wood and what can happen. DO BE CAREFULL
    G.P.
    UH OH!! How ironic is that! Yesterday I woke up from a nap and my nose started hemorrhaging. I went to the ER, they got it to stop, but I have to follow up with my PCP tuesday. It was before I purchased "this" wood. But I do like to use Recycled wood...

They have medicine for that LG! I prefer anti-monkey butt powder myself. I hate when I get swamp-ash. LOL No it is heavy.
    Funny... could be a type of crotch oak if you have monkey rash. lol...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast