Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pocket cuts

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    and one more thing will the .75 at the bottom be the right size for a .75 board?
    I have yet to find a 0.75" thick board that is REALLY and EXACTLY 0.75" thick. Most often, I have found the board is a tad thicker. I just measured three different so-called 0.75 " boards a moment ago: 0.762", 0.764" and 0.769"

I don't usually worry about it too much, though. I have a small length of aluminum "U" 1/2" channel with coarse sandpaper glued on each side of the "U". I rest the bottom of the U on the slot and rub the sides of the slot until I achieve a tight fit for the board...takes a couple minutes, but that's alright. I have also tried to offset the bit in the design layout to make the slots a little wider. Have had success with that, but sometimes it takes too much off and the slot is overcompensated (my fault). So, I usually take the conservative approach and sand by hand, when necessary.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I have made the .75 slot before and it was sloppy fit so went .040 less and fit alot better, your conserveity is well spoken and I would rather sand than be to big and be an eye sore. also on .75 slot it looks like an edge on the outside of the .75x12. is that normal or did I do it wrong?

here is my attempt to write a program.useing a .375 bit
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wish I new what you were trying to do. Here is my take on it. Everything is milled out with the 3/8 bit and then it is cut out with the 1/8 bit. All the depths are 0.190 (should they be 1/4?) I made the cross mills stop short of the sides to keep the sides straight. The slot is slightly narrower for a tight fit. (There may be very thin slivers left between some of the 3/8 passes.) Take a close look at all of the parameters and change them if they are wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the 12x12 I put a 1/8 thick 12x12 mirror and in the .75 slot I put a shelf at 90 degrees

I have already done the carve I will post it maybe tomorrow, just hot off the carvewright...

does the pocket cut measure 12 3/8 or 12" on your drawing? I subtracted the 3/8 for the width of the bit on both sides and come out with 12"x12" I had to do some sanding to make it fit but it wasn't bad at all.
    '

Most cabinet workers understand that lumber comes in at 13/16 to 4/4 as the norm enables the wood to be joined surfaced and sanded in the shop typ.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 06-08-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Default thank you

I just finished the project, I want to thank bererud for walking me though the project.. a little more practice and I'll just might be a woodcarver yet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0143.JPG   DSCF0144.JPG   DSCF0146.JPG  

Happy if I helped arkweld. Looks good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast