Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawdust Removal

Hello,
    I can see where the DC removing all the dust/chips will save a lot of wear and tear on the machines
    by looking at the pictures here and you see very little dust/chips on your machines and you look at
    mine after one piece and it looks like it had never been cleaned but I do thourghly after every piece.
    I do not think all this Dust/Chips,debris is good for the machine at all.

Excellent ideas, I need something like this.
    Bill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dirty_machine_201.jpg  
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

I like the hole in the side of the unit. I also like the air assist tube too. Pointing the air tube from the left side of the head to a hole cut in the right side looks like a good use of 2 ideas plus a down draft..... And static safe fittings and your all set.... The air tube sweeping the chips to the air intake.

Nice work !!!

AL

Paul,
    How did your idea work with just the hole in the bottom? I guess I am
    looking for something for myself not being a seasoned wood worker and
    just a welder who does not have a DC such as yours. Would a good
    shop vac. on the bottom like you have in your picture work well enough
    to do the job?
    Thanks Bill.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Hi All

I haven’t been able to fine it but one of threads said something about shedding a little light inside the machine. I’ve been fooling around with some high intensity LEDs, and Mag. Lights, And found the ones from 3 cell flash lights work well lighting up the inside of the machine.
    They come in 4.5 volt dc 1, 2, 3, and 4 LED clusters, or two bulb pack long life Mag. Lights, which work very well with Radio shacks 4.5volt dc 110 volt ac adaptor. You can run them for several hours on a 3 cell battery pack using 1.5 volt double a, c, d, batteries. The LEDs can work up to10,000 hours and beyond on the ac - dc transformer adaptor, A little wire, a little solder, a little Velcro, a few parts and let there be light. It’s not meant to make the machine work any better, just helps to see what’s going on inside when I’m carving, cleaning out the dust and chips or changing Bits. I use the ac dc adaptor Myself. Just A thought - At least it works for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc05303_a_145.jpg   dsc05301_a_181.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 03-17-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

I have been reading all the posts on dust collection and here is what I came up with.
    Not wanting to raise the height of the machine anymore, I drilled a series of 3/4" holes (18 total) in a 2 1/4" W x 20" long strip in the center of my work bench. I then mounted a 3 sided box (2 3/4" W x 2 1/4" D x 21" L inside dimension) to the underside of the work bench, used a 2 1/2" outlet, ran it to the end of the bench where it increases to 4" and connects to my 650 cfm Jet collector.
    I also added some air at the Y-Truck by means of 1/8" vinyl tubing back to a 30 cfm air brush compressor. Without the air brush jar on it, it has a constant flow of almost 10 psi.

Here are a few pictures. This is after a 35 min test run. Minimal dust.
    We will see how it does on a larger project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carvewright Dust-1.jpg   Carvewright Dust-2.jpg   Carvewright Dust-3.jpg   Carvewright Dust-4.jpg  

30 cfm out of an airbrush compressor?? I need one of those. Thats about twice what I get from my shop compressor -6hp/60gal tank.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Sorry---I ment 30 psi

Thumbs up

Hi jdrof

Very nice set up and good photos, I know that little extra air moving around the carving bit really dose help. and your right 5 to 10 psi plenty .
    Last edited by Kenm810; 03-17-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default How expensive is a jet collector

Hey JDROF,

What is the model number of your jet collector, and where do you get this brand? How expensive are they?

MrUserfriendly,

It is a JET DC-650A, manufactured by WMH TOOL GROUP (wmhtoolgroup.com )

They cost about $200.00 and are carried by most good quality tool outlets.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast