Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anybody help me in making this into a pattern?

Robkjw1611, you just turned down a great pattern by Alan. I would have asked $75 to make it. Add the cost of the pattern to the total price of carving it. Much better to give the customer a great quality pattern then a low quality pattern and carve. After all it is the customers business they are promoting with the sign.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Robkjw1611, you just turned down a great pattern by Alan. I would have asked $75 to make it. Add the cost of the pattern to the total price of carving it. Much better to give the customer a great quality pattern then a low quality pattern and carve. After all it is the customers business they are promoting with the sign.
    I am doing this as a favor for someone. I would have a professional pattern done if the cost were able to be worked in but I cant pay for that at this time and I already gave my word I was doing it. I now have a pattern that will work.

3. Default

While I was not able to buy a professional pattern for this sign, just the basic pattern I did with gimp worked out fine. Thought I would share. Thanks to those who tried to make a pattern for me. I understand it would take too much time to make a professional pattern and not be compensated for your work but it just was not an option for this particular sign for me. But it worked out in the end. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sweet Valley Hives FB1.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	63111

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That came out beautiful! Nice painting.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

+1 great job. Don't feel bad one way or the other about the prof. pattern-- one of the nice things about our machines is the wide range of expertise and levels of carvings that can complete a project

Alan's pattern, would have, I'm sure been spectacular- but this turned out nicely too

Lawrence

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    While I was not able to buy a professional pattern for this sign, just the basic pattern I did with gimp worked out fine. Thought I would share. Thanks to those who tried to make a pattern for me. I understand it would take too much time to make a professional pattern and not be compensated for your work but it just was not an option for this particular sign for me. But it worked out in the end. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sweet Valley Hives FB1.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	63111
    That came out really nice. I used to make patterns for free but since it takes longer to do a good one I've started trying to contract out my skills. But making stuff yourself is fun.

7. Default

Thanks guys for the feedback! And Alan I don't blame you. You do professional quality patterns that take to long to do for free all the time. When I posted for a pattern originally I thought with the picture I had it would be a real quick pattern but it sounds like it would of took a lot longer than expected.

Nice job!

I don't know what your relationship is with the recipient of the sign but an idea would be to see if you could work out an agreement to carve their logo into the roof walls of their hives or something to that effect.
    ~ Mark K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12