Thread: Has anyone done toy cars?

Default Has anyone done toy cars?

I was just curious if anyone had tried to make a toy car pattern. I know a group locally that makes wooden cars and donates them to the Ronald McDonald house for the kids. I was thinking of cutting the car from 3/4 pine and have it 3 pieces thick for the body and also cutting out fender wells for the exterior to be glued on and having it cut and carve the wheels as well as drill a dowel hole in the center. These aren't hard to make with a band saw, but I thought it would be a great use for scrap wood on the CW when I didn't have anything else going on. Do you think it would be worth the sanding time on the cut outs? I'm always looking to put my scraps to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoriearty View Post
    I was just curious if anyone had tried to make a toy car pattern. I know a group locally that makes wooden cars and donates them to the Ronald McDonald house for the kids. I was thinking of cutting the car from 3/4 pine and have it 3 pieces thick for the body and also cutting out fender wells for the exterior to be glued on and having it cut and carve the wheels as well as drill a dowel hole in the center. These aren't hard to make with a band saw, but I thought it would be a great use for scrap wood on the CW when I didn't have anything else going on. Do you think it would be worth the sanding time on the cut outs? I'm always looking to put my scraps to good use.
    I have made toy cars for years, also piggy banks sell fast, bird houses too. I use my Scroll Saw most of the time.

Here is a good place to get patterns and Ideas for Toy Cars.

http://www.toymakingplans.com/websit...-all-toy-plans

They send a PDF file for the patterns; they are full size drawings to cut out the parts on a Scroll Saw. If you have PhotoShop and Illustrator, it is easy to make a DXF file for the CW unit or just make a PTN file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toy cars 1.jpg   ToymakingPlans.pdf   Toy cars 2.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

bjbethke,
    Thats where I get my patterns also. Great stuff and neat ideas. I also use scroll and band saw for most of this kind of stuff, CarveWright is kindof overkill and would take more time.

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    bjbethke,
    Thats where I get my patterns also. Great stuff and neat ideas. I also use scroll and band saw for most of this kind of stuff, CarveWright is kindof overkill and would take more time.
    Thanks Guys, I'll check it out. I have about 300 full size toy patterns here at the shop too. Honestly the CW is less than 5% of my business. I do about 40% wood turning, pens, bowls, goblets, etc, about 20% cutting boards, 20% small furniture, and about 15% custom hand carvings (including some restoration carvings, my big earner). I got the CW mostly to make some small signs to sell in some of my craft booth locations for a good filler. It's working out pretty good. The CW is covering my rent, can't complain. I always feel like I'm doing two things at once when it's running....lol.

I'm curious how do you get your pdf file to open in Photoshop?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atldal View Post
    I'm curious how do you get your pdf file to open in Photoshop?

Thanks
    The PDF files open in Adobe Acrobat, you can save any image and then open it in Photoshop. I use Adobe CS6, it has around 10 programs, the main ones I use are Acrobat, photoshop and Illustrator. there is a free download for CS3 posted on the forum. It is a great program.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.