Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    I speculate that the original designer (as with all updates and patches to designer) will continue to be free- new features continue to be "ala carte" and I appreciate this very much.

I know it seems like we get nickle and dimed to death, but I would rather have the option to buy new features as long as the original designer is still supported. I like LHR's business model when it comes to software design and sales very much- I consider it to be one of the company's best traits.

Lawrence
    Lawrence,

You have hit the nail on the head.

I agree with you 100%.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

2. Default

I fully understand that research and development costs money. However one of the benefits for buying the machine is the software that comes with it.

I think as people look at the competition and this machine they will see all of the additional software as additional costs that they will eventually need to spend and the price then starts to become equal to that of some of the more expensive hobby machines.

I am a big carvewright fan, But the reason I purchased was the value of the total package. I really think in their business model carvewright has to consider that educated buyers will look at the total package and might start to become turned off at all the add-ons some of which may be necessary for what they want to do.

It is starting to seem as though we are being Nickel and dimed to death and people will start to catch on And consider it a negative to purchase this machine. I don't intend this to be a negative post rather I really want LHR to see both sides and understand what some of their customers and maybe only me thinks about this.

When the keyhole tool became an added cost that was when I really started to get concerned and now that basic designer could be split off into two designers one you have to pay for and one comes with the machine this also worries me.

Just my two cents which I realize nobody asked for.
    Last edited by CW-HAL9000; 05-31-2013 at 02:06 PM.

3. Default

Lawrence, one final thought what would be the incentive for LHR to continue to support patch and update the free designer rather then update and make the new designer better in order to increase sales of the additional software?

I just want to add my 2 cents. The Carvewright is an exceptional machine with great capabilities. The software is outstanding in ease of use and understanding. yes addons cost extra so do running boards and brushgaurds on a new truck.
    Do you need the extras to accomplish most projects? maybe maybe not. I guess I may be old school but I like using my scrollsaw and bandsaw to cut projects out. I like using my router table to make keyholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarver View Post
    Lawrence, one final thought what would be the incentive for LHR to continue to support patch and update the free designer rather then update and make the new designer better in order to increase sales of the additional software?
    I honestly don't know the details of the new software package - I'm just speculating about it and assuming that it is an addition rather than a replacement but I really don't know. (but wish I did)

We're all going to just have to wait and see methinks, but hopefully this is another set of "options" that is not required but is useful to some. (My imagination gets the better of me when I think about ideas like speed control, custom bits showing in designer, hotkeys, true "use same settings and just carve again" settings for sleds, export to standard G-code etc)

I don't usually recommend that new users get more than the basic designer and the centerline/conforming vectors add ons. IMHO It is really difficult to jump right into the other software without having a working knowledge of the base software first and it really allows you to tailor your software purchases to your needs. (it also allows the purchaser to wait until the software is on sale!)

Again, just my .02 and I wish I had more information that I could share... perhaps LHR will leak a few tantalizer details?

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 05-31-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Nothing says that a person can stay on the version they have and continue to use it as they have. I know a customer of mine that is still on DOS and as long as he does not try to add any other software it will work, until some day when it crashs and he has to upgrade. Any upgrade does not limit itself to selling new software although most want to do more as they learn and grow. In the 30 years I have owned my companyI had seen many new products and services, and now we are going from pots lines to IP. All cost money but you can save by staying with what you got.

Like Lawrence, I'm just speculating here also. I assume that if you purchase a new machine, the latest software will be included. If you upgrade from an older version you will have to purchase it separately. This is standard in the industry. For example, if you buy a new computer it will have the latest OS. If you already have a computer with an older OS you will have to purchase the new OS separately.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-31-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Steve

Designer 2.0 is ok... Where is Carvewright 2.0?! We want 24" wide, 2" carving depth, 3" cutting depth, USB port... etc. Looking forward to seeing 2.0 in action!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

I think this whole thread is a misunderstanding. Just because Steve used the word "purchase". Is there any other reason why anyone thinks the software policy has changed???

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think this whole thread is a misunderstanding. Just because Steve used the word "purchase". Is there any other reason why anyone thinks the software policy has changed???
    Dan,

Great point! Some times "silence" is not golden! I've tried to sneak some info out of the CarveWright folks and trust me them lips are sealed! All I could get was that some new features will be rolled out. No mention of that the 2.0 will be a purchase feature but that the features would be..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast