Thread: Shrinking Scan

Default Shrinking Scan

Help! i scanned some pistol grips to make a new wood set out of. When a ran them thru the machine they came
    out about 2/3 small than the orginal scan. . I changed nothing in the program. or on the scan. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong.. New to the machine and any help will be appreciated
    Thanks
    David

Did you get a "scale to length/width" message at the machine when you were setting it up to carve? If so your design board showed up smaller than the actual board you had installed in the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

David,

Like posted above, this looks like a case of Pilot Error in that the Physical Board was close to the length of the Designer Board Length and during the setup at the machine, the machine asked you a question? That question was..... "Do you want me to stay under the Rollers?" and I am betting you told the machine "YES" Stay under the Rollers.... The Computer then Subtracted 7 inches from the Physical Board you installed as it needed the 3.5 inches on each side of the bit to stay under the rollers.... HENCE it then took what was left of the BOARD installed and SCALED DOWN your project to fit the remainder of the board....

2nd Post.. WELCOME !!!!

This is one of the most common first posts.... We call it the 7 inch rule of wood...

Find the Tips and Tricks and spend some time reading them... It will give you the knowledge to properly operate the machine.

Sleds, Carrier Board, and MORE will help you make FrugAL use of wood, all in Tips and Tricks.

I have never scanned anything and I don't know if you did ALL the Board Loading Correct and have a proper size board BUT something in the SCAN ART caused this.... It is more likely Stay Under Rollers that caused you to crash....

Let us know...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Also, remember to uncheck the box "scale to fit board" when placing the pattern on Designer's virtual board.

Watch the size of the pattern very carefully as an original mpl - if you smooth it, round edges, etc., it will change the size of the pattern, and you have to re-size it. Something like pistol grips have to be just right (ask me how I know - I've goofed way more grips than I've gotten right).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130217_095552.jpg   Grips 1.JPG   20130217_095518.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Thanks I will give it a try.

Thanks for your help I will read them

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Also, remember to uncheck the box "scale to fit board" when placing the pattern on Designer's virtual board.

Watch the size of the pattern very carefully as an original mpl - if you smooth it, round edges, etc., it will change the size of the pattern, and you have to re-size it. Something like pistol grips have to be just right (ask me how I know - I've goofed way more grips than I've gotten right).
    I'm glad I found this thread - I just had the same problem, and I've been reading the tips and tricks and just about everything else that I can access here - seems like I can't zoom pictures or load videos and pdf instructions that are posted in threads here, nor can I start my own threads...

At any rate - Any chance you'd be willing to share or sell your 1911 grip pattern? I bought the machine specifically to bring production in-house, but my pattern and design skills are severely lacking