Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flex Shaft Melt Down

One thing I did was take the shaft completely off with the core/spring out and used a rifle cleaning rod tipped with a dry rag and ran it through the shaft. Boy the junk that came out!

It will also heat up when the bearings start to go in the carriage because it has to work so hard.

That is true about the bearings causing heat up, but also when that is the case the truck itself usually heats up too ... I always hand check for heat on flex when carving and stop if I think it may be to warm ... Once stopped I will feel the truck also for heat... The bearings will usually get a little noisy too when they start to go...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Thx for the welcome back Al.... And thx for all your helpful post on the forum... I think I may have gotten a little short with your post concerning my flex shaft, for that I apoligize .... Keep up the good work...

Kevin
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

hi, newby. Used machine. My machine flex cable is hot to the touch, not warm hot. I stopped. Can i use my foredom lube on this and lube cable, from what i am seeing i need to do this, i have no idea how many hours it has, guy claimed really low but.... thanks sue

Sue,

Using the wrong lube will possibly cause the flex to burn up. Honestly the best bet is to buy the correct lube from LHR. The formula changed in the Chain Lube with Molly that has been recommended in the past.

A new flex will run you about $100.00 with shipping.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Sue,

You can check the "cut motor time" and the "total on time" by following these steps:
    1. Be sure you have a memory card in the machine and turn it on.
    2. Press 0 and then press 3. This will give you the "total cut motor time".
    3. Press the down arrow key. This will give you the "total on time".

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    Steve

thanks Steve and Al, 37 hours cut time and 69 on time. What is LHR? I was going to buy oil on carvewright site. My husband is rolling his eyes at me, and has that i told you so look on his face. I just walked into a job and I need this machine up and going. I need to carve an Old English style Name for a Ship. My Basic 1.8 does not have anything that is fancy enough. Also since A machine i checked the A190 (i think) has not been changed out , so I need that and then I can change the quick release chuck to the new model? But still have to buy new bits? AHHHHH!!! I am praying the local Sears has the oil. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by diverdill View Post
    thanks Steve and Al, 37 hours cut time and 69 on time. What is LHR? I was going to buy oil on carvewright site. My husband is rolling his eyes at me, and has that i told you so look on his face. I just walked into a job and I need this machine up and going. I need to carve an Old English style Name for a Ship. My Basic 1.8 does not have anything that is fancy enough. Also since A machine i checked the A190 (i think) has not been changed out , so I need that and then I can change the quick release chuck to the new model? But still have to buy new bits? AHHHHH!!! I am praying the local Sears has the oil. Sue
    here is what I use works great also use a copper pipe bend it like a pig tail long enough for the cable and big enough for the cable ,,spray inside the pipe and run back an fourth and take excess of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0115.JPG  
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    here is what I use works great also use a copper pipe bend it like a pig tail long enough for the cable and big enough for the cable ,,spray inside the pipe and run back an fourth and take excess of
    I think LHR has stated a few times in the past to NOT USE Lithium grease on the flex. Lithium grease wasnt designed for the high rpms of the flex shaft. While it is great that it has been working for you, I would hesitate in recommending it to a new user. Be safe.. stick with what LHR recommends.
    Doug Fletcher

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast