Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flex Shaft Melt Down

Quote Originally Posted by ronboley View Post
    Just to let you guys know...the (now without exterior sheath) flex shaft is still working just fine with about another 8-9 hours of carving time...still not getting any more than mildly warm...I check it regularly now...and I beleive I will lube it more regularly...anyone have a feel for how often to lube the inner core ? I'll still repleace the whole assemblky after the new one arrives, but maybe establishment of a more regular schedule for lubrication of the inner core based on hours of carving is needed.
    If my palm touch does find the flex shaft warmer than normal then I will get out my $10 thermometer to check the actual temp. My "normal" range seems to be low 80s to low 90s. If I see it getting above the 95 range then I monitor it through out the rest of the carve. Up over 100 then it is a sign to clean and relube it. I have not lubed it for over a year now.

Lubing the shaft on a "set schedule" could lead to over lubing and getting the top hat loaded with the run off...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

My flex shaft was starting to over heat and what I found was a burr on the end that fits into the motor it was making my cable too long for the sheath
    I sanded the end and it is running cool now...
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

It's funny how my comments on this thread concerning my flex cable with less then 20 hrs out it blowing apart was removed in less then 15 minutes !!!! If you can't put up the truth to share !!!!!!! Guess only favorable comments are permitted....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

No. It was your language that got your post deleted. Abbreviating it doesn't make it any less inappropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Oh and CW should send me a new one FREE of charge... Less then 20 hrs on it, and the internal spring comes out in 4 pieces .... That to me is an obvious problem with that Flex Shaft ....

I think the magic number is 10 hours (or until you swear!). Any idea why the "silencing spring" would break up like that? Are there burrs on the flex? Did the spring wear through or just break?

Hey Dan ,,, no idea y it fell apart. Less then 20 hrs on it. I noticed the shaft getting hot during a carve and stopped the machine. Took the flex off for inspection. That's when the spring came out in 4 pieces.

I realize people get upset when something goes awry. I did not remove the post because he was upset about the flexshaft or angry at LHR. I only deleted the posts with inappropriate language.

We have rules and they need to be followed. Abbreviating curse words is the same as saying them in my book and trying to tell me you meant something else just to post them again isn't going to fly.

We will see him back next week after a short time out.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

With the Flex Shaft there are so many variables that can trip you up... Since 2007 I have had one burnt up flex and it was totally MY fault as I have posted many times before. I was doing maintenance on the machine out on the deck in the sun. I had the whole flex out and Cut Motor too blowing the dust out. It was HOT from the Sun and SOFT... I whipped it off the table and accidentally kinked the Spring as it was so soft. It burned up during the first carve.... The 2nd was a Snapped flex right in the middle, twisted clean off..... Was cutting some DEEP V90 BOLD and the wood was hard pine. I had failed to clean the V90 bit after cutting the back.... IT had a built up sawdust and pitch on the bit... had I cleaned it, the flex may have not broken.... down time.... 2 Min... Had a SPARE....

In my eyes, the Flex is like a Car Tire on a New CAR... Got a Flat at 20 hours of operation... Blame FORD..... Well, not in my book... Jumping up and down posting with "Excitement" of how FORD was WRONG and I should get a new TIRE... Well, we are all Adults here... Tires and the CW FLEX are just not covered under the Warranty.... TOO many "Variables"...

"Petting the Flex at EVERY Bit Change to check for HEAT" will be a good habit to learn from the beginning as is watching the "Bit Touch EVERY TIME"....

THOUSANDS of Hours of trouble free Carving by following a few easy habits...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm good with my flex shaft I have been doing the touch test with both machines since I had them and in keeping them lubed more than whats required, the flex shaft is the hardest working part on the machine, and I don't want to buy a new one just because I didn't want to take time out to clean it. In fact its time to clean the machine and change the brushes....oh, I have 600 hrs. on one machine and 247 hrs. on the other.. and had very little repair work.
    Last edited by aokweld101; 06-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast