Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Machine - Inconsistent Measurments

Default New Machine - Inconsistent Measurments

Hello all, Finally got my new machine up and running. Everything has been pretty good so far but I'm having one small issue:

When I insert a new board and perform a measurement, it is nearly perfect. In this case, a brand new piece of MDF that is 8" by 15.5". The length is dead on and the width measures at 8.018" which I thought was pretty good and doesn't require recalibration.

I then ran a measurement with a bigger board, 10 by 36" and it provided similar accuracy.

Back to the original test board, re-measurement looks good again. Go to start project, and when it measures at the start, it comes up with 8.443"! So it wants to center on width or insert a new board. If I select center on width, it is making my text letters way smaller than intended.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't understand how the machine is coming up with different measurements for the same exact workpiece, especially when leaving it in place and not removing it between measurements.

This is 3/4" MDF that I cut on my table saw which is pretty well calibrated.

Thanks in advance!

I am betting the 7 inch rule of wood is the problem... IS the machine asking you to SCALE the project on the LCD when you load it... IF yes, then that is the problem....

Tips and Tricks has lots of good information on how to properly setup the project and machine.

4th post, WELCOME.

IF you ran the project you would most likely find that the Art or Text is SCALED in Length as well as Width... A common Pilot Error.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCHeels View Post
    Hello all, Finally got my new machine up and running. Everything has been pretty good so far but I'm having one small issue:

When I insert a new board and perform a measurement, it is nearly perfect. In this case, a brand new piece of MDF that is 8" by 15.5". The length is dead on and the width measures at 8.018" which I thought was pretty good and doesn't require recalibration.

I then ran a measurement with a bigger board, 10 by 36" and it provided similar accuracy.

Back to the original test board, re-measurement looks good again. Go to start project, and when it measures at the start, it comes up with 8.443"! So it wants to center on width or insert a new board. If I select center on width, it is making my text letters way smaller than intended.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't understand how the machine is coming up with different measurements for the same exact workpiece, especially when leaving it in place and not removing it between measurements.

This is 3/4" MDF that I cut on my table saw which is pretty well calibrated.

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome!

It may be just a simple "pilot error" situation.

15.5" minus 7" = 8.5" available space to carve upon when staying under the rollers.

DO NOT ALLOW SCALING - ever! If your layout is done at 15.5" "fake" board and you stay under rollers, then your board will need to be at least 7" LONGER than your layout...in this case it would need to be at least 22.5" long.

You may be in a "loop" of choosing stay under rollers and a "faulty" layout strategy. Please post your MPC so we can see how you laid it out and whether you will say YES or NO to Stay Under Rollers depending upon your layout. More to the story, but let's leave it at that until we see your MPC file.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Please read the following tips n tricks newsletter on scaling issues.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Mar09.pdf

You did not mention what your "design board" measurement were. Is the the same size as your actual board?

How did you answer the prompt at the beginning? Stay under the rollers "yes" or "no".
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It looks like there maybe some confusion here. Is the 8.443 width or the length?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It looks like there maybe some confusion here. Is the 8.443 width or the length?
    I'm guessing the length. In any case, several of us are fairly confident it's a layout/board size issue. Simple to correct once we have the details...and MPC to look at...
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I tried answering yes and no to staying under the rollers. If I say no, the measurement is off even more so.

I guess I misunderstood the 7" rule for the length of the board. I thought it meant that the board iteslf just had to be over 7 but now I see that it means it needs to be at least 7" longer. But why would that throw off the width measurement? Or is that not really my problem at all?

I will try another test with a longer board to see what it does.

Meanwhile, I have more reading to do. Been reading since Friday afternoon so I thought I was ready. I found the software pretty easy to start out with but I will have to learn all the tips and tricks.

Also, when I go to upload the .mpc, my computer thinks they are windows media files?

Thanks again. I'm here to learn and I really appreciate you taking time to help me.

Also, when I go to upload the .mpc, my computer thinks they are windows media files?

I don't know why that would prevent you from uploading an mpc file. But, here's a tip...rename the file extension to .txt and we'll change the extension to mpc after you upload it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Wow, several more replies while I was typing!

Anyway, that tips and tricks is exactly what's happening to me I think.

Under board settings, I have L=15.5 and W=8" and I had made my workpiece that same exact size.

Let me try the file as is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, several more replies while I was typing!

Anyway, that tips and tricks is exactly what's happening to me I think.

Under board settings, I have L=15.5 and W=8" and I had made my workpiece that same exact size.

Let me try the file as is:
    OK, here is one way of laying out this example. (It's the same way I layout all the Projects of the Month.)

The word POST is centered on a 8" x 12" FAKE board in the software. Your REAL board will have to be at least 8" wide x 19" long for this to work and stay under the rollers at all times. This means you will select EITHER Yes or NO (does not make any difference because the board will be long enough to stay under the rollers no matter which answer you select) and select "Center" for positioning when prompted.

I cut my board lengths a "tad" longer than necessary...only about 1/8" longer...just for insurance. Also, I often design my layout at a slightly less width dimension than the real board. I almost did that for your example...i.e., change the width to slightly less than 8"...again for insurance and it wouldn't make any difference for this simple project.

In any case, you may receive a Scaling prompt...but as long as your board is spot-on 8" wide (or make your layout slightly smaller in wdith or your real board wider) and at least 19 1/8" long, you will have the option to "Keep Original Size". Again, never ever, nope not ever, allow scaling.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-19-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast