Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: priceing the pom's

I've got to say that your formula is what I call "the red zone" for selling stuff. You're probably going to have a hard time selling many at that price and even if you sold a hundred, you're so low down on your hourly wage that you're at or below min wage. Keep in mind that you are competing with things such as this...
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/11123675...FUeCQgodaT0AMg
    so you can see that your price is many times what they are asking for what most consumers would see as a similar item.

When I see this happen with my work I usually find ways to increase speed and efficiency... in your above case, by a lot... a whole lot

Consider - batching out parts (do 20 wheels at once, 20 handles at once etc) and then pre-carving sides and setting up a jig to customize them etc etc... Also, I'd rather spend $2 more on wood for a project that uses a hardwood, can be carved on Normal, and doesn't need much sanding... my time is worth more and I can in turn usually charge more.

Also, waste as little as possible. you've listed $30 in materials (is that just the wood or does it include finish/glue/sandpaper etc?) In either case, jigs/sleds are your friends for not wasting materials as is (as I've mentioned) batch cutting to cut down on waste.

and then... speed... blazing speed... and make sure your work stands out in some way that sets it apart....

Good luck and I'm sorry to be such a party pooper on this one but I don't want to blow smoke up your rear either.

Lawrence

I agree with Lawrence. Speed of production and efficiency is a must when making these types of projects. I have been in the same boat where I have just made enough to cover materials and nothing for my time. Personalizing projects or small custom orders can bring a much better return.

To me all, pricing is a big night mirror and it can only be based on the area one lives and the type of income in ones area.

Then again it is a crap shoot.

I will think and think on a price then tell the customer and I hear "is that all " Then on the other hand you have the person
    who will say "you want what for that" So go figure.

I more then not most likely break even on most things. Then again I have to say I guess.

When I get home after a CRAZY day at work here, there is nothing more to unwind me then getting in my shop area and running the CW or having the dremal tools running and doing my detail sanding.

If I set on the sofa and hold one of my cats, with in mins I am a sleep. So sand sand sand................
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

somebody posted ;;; machine time 5 dollars hr , plus price material ; multiply these numbers by 2;;; Then ask your wife if she would buy for that amount
    denny

Quote Originally Posted by dcalvin4 View Post
    somebody posted ;;; machine time 5 dollars hr , plus price material ; multiply these numbers by 2;;; Then ask your wife if she would buy for that amount
    denny
    I was just figuring this out with one of my 5 hour carvings and what I am going to charge the customer and it worked out.
    For me any way.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

thanks everyone for the replies I was getting concerned about the prices as I had my leg apputated two years ago and the cravewight has been my savior as something to do, I'm 58 yrs. old I'm not ready to watch TV and waiting for the time to die, Ive been a welder,fabricator for 30 yrs and my life had stopped at that time I don't want to run out of materials and no money to buy more. that is why I really want it to work......I would like the title....carvewright staff... just kidding gentlemen ...lmao

From what I see on the forum, money is to be made in personalized signs. Maybe some sign makers would know more.

I kinda think that although as Lawrence said about the "red zone", at least it puts one in the ballpark and a place to work from. I believe that after finding your "red zone" price, then you can start reducing the price based on demographic, cost of living, stock market, & Obamacare. Just kidding.... Forget about stock market. LOL. I'll be doing a "Trade Days" event next month & I'm trying to figure out how much to reduce from the "red zone" price. If I figure it out I'll post it. Maybe something like reduce red zone price by 15% and if the customer doesn't flinch, you come back with "Plus Tax".
    Last edited by chebytrk; 05-23-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12