Thread: Questions about cutlists

Default Questions about cutlists

Its been a while, Carvers...have been buried for the latter half of the winter, done no carving and not a lot of woodworking. But that's over, its warm and time to get to work.

The piece I'm on is a largish tool cabinet with around 20 drawers, 6 doors. I'd like to carve faces for the drawers but many of them are odd sizes. I'll use the CW to do the carve but I'm trying to optimize the layout on boards and keep running into trouble.

Does anyone use software to optimize cutlists? I've been looking at CutList Plus but I'm not sure how much I need to separate each of the subcarves on the board (1/2"? 1") and how far I should stay away from the edges. I've put some pics below (and a link to see more pictures if you are interested) but in the meantime, can anyone advise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabinet one.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	62336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drawers Cover Sizes.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	62337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout Attempt.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	62338

If you're interested in seeing what I'm building, the link is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1622959&type=3

Looks like a great project! For your spacing you should be safe with a spacing of 1/2" between the fronts and also to the board edge. I would also make sure you set your tab heights to at least 1/4" to be on the save side...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

My thought was to use cutlist software (such as Cutlist Plus) to optimize the layout of parts on the board that carvewright carves on. Set the 'kerf' to minimum space (1/2" for example) and thereby make sure the drawer fronts at least look like they came from the same board.

Is anyone else using software for this?

I use cutlist but haven't ever used it for carving projects. Mostly gun safes and things of that sort.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

If you make a drawing in Sketchup, a Cutlist plugin is available to give you what you need.

Default So I bought into Cutlist Plus

Very cool program that had no problem applying a 1/2" virtual kerf and it measured out pretty perfectly. See pics below!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutlist pic.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	62390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutlist full.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	62391