Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STL bits?

Default STL bits?

Sorry, I'm more than sure this has been asked. I just purchased the STL importer. And just when I thought I could now do it all, it seems that anything imported will be saved as a pattern and therefor cut strictly with the carving bit? Straight bits can't be used?? Tell me it isn't so :X

I'm not sure why you would want to use straight bits? STL is the standard file type for 3d models which are carved using raster bits on the Carvewright.

There are faster and more efficient means of doing pockets/etc with straight bits and if that is what you are trying to accomplish then please let us know and we can show you how to do so.

V/r
    Lawrence

Well, I was wanting to make some gears. I guess I'll just have to work with the seven degree taper ?
    Also, slightly off topic: when you slice 3d objects are you able to carve both sides by turning each board over?
    Thanks for the help. Getting STL import makes things seem much more limitless

for gears you don't want to use the STL importer, you want to use the DXF importer... DXF files are vector files.

Programs such as "gear generator" even export DXF files... they then become dead easy to import and cut with straight bits as
    vectors instead of raster files.

Like this..

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    when you slice 3d objects are you able to carve both sides by turning each board over?
    Yes, by "slicing" the piece in half and then placing each half onto its side of the board....

Lawrence

Funny I was just watching a youtube from Matthias when I opened your response email (May have to try his router tilt table)
    Ugh.. Guess I need to buy the DXF now too. No way around that I suppose? Hopefully that ones not $200. This set of gears is getting expensive -welcome to woodshop right?
    Well, I can say I am learning about the different formats I suppose.. I have solid works but haven't learned how to use it yet. I think I can do gears on it.
    I have 10 hours on my carvewright and owned it since it's release. Like 7 years? Don't hit me.

Anyone looking to buy STL import? lol. I thought I was done with software. This is pushing my rock chuck further back.
    Nice vid. Thanks Lawrence. Looks like I have no choice

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Yes, by "slicing" the piece in half and then placing each half onto its side of the board....

Lawrence
    I thought so, but now confirmed. Thank you

you have a choice if you just need a couple... just post the gear files and someone here (like me) can turn the DXF files into vectors for you which you can then carve out with the straight bits... it's a work around, but a workable one for now if you'd like.

And yes... the DXF importer is the same cost as the STL importer the last time I checked... but it's worth it!

One more thing... the STL importer license can't be transferred once you've used it... (sorry...) but it's a GREAT piece of kit

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    Well, I was wanting to make some gears. I guess I'll just have to work with the seven degree taper ?
    Also, slightly off topic: when you slice 3d objects are you able to carve both sides by turning each board over?
    Just in case you have not seen the tutorials... http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...are-tutorials/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

This offends me. I spent $200 to buy the STL importer so that I could cut wood from designs I made in Sketchup. Like the original poster, my design needs a straight bit and only a straight bit. The thought of having to abandon the STL importer and spend another $200 for the DXF importer makes me feel left out in the cold.

Is there some way to get Designer to trace around the edges of the .stl file? I don't want to pay CW another $200 when the $200 I already paid them was an outrage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast