Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattleback

Looks nice. Good idea to carve it sideways. I think I may try that. I would make the sled so the piece can be flipped without releasing the sled. That way the x line up does not depend on the board sensor measuring the board the same twice.

2. Default

I'm wanting to make a rattleback out of wood and would love to see your files. I've downloaded them, but can't see anything. I notice they're in mpc format, which I can't use as I've got a mac. Is there any other way of posting them?

These files are for the Carvewright machine. If you had a CW machine it would carve it. What kind of file were you hoping for? You could download a 30 day trial of the CW software at:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...tarted/update/

You can see the rattleback as a 3d model in this software.

.mpc files are used on a PC and a MAC. If you can't see the .mpc extension you need to turn extensions on. Either way it will still work if you have the Designer installed.
    Steve

They are interesting and amusing .... Oh and I can explain there behavior but I'll never tell ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Does anyone..... have an idea of how to make one of these that is a "rare celt" that will change rotation when spun from either direction and change directions several times during one spin?
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Not me but I think this was Dan B's thing ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I know that one can make rattlebacks that rattle back both ways. My thought was that the "aggressiveness" of the rattle back would necessarily be less, and since I am proud of how aggressive my design is, I had not tried to make one.

I think a dual rattleback may have to be shorter so that both states of oscillation are similar. Maybe they only need to be commensurable. It could also be that the density of the material and not only just the shape is important.

When I get some time, I will have to research this. It is an interesting question.

I have made them both ways. I gave the left spinning to a republican and left spinning to a democrat.
    Democratic Party.mpc Republican Party.mpc
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Just made one of these out of scrap pine.
    This thing is cool.
    Works great!!

Thank you!
    Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast