Thread: Flat area for screw hole?

1. Default Flat area for screw hole?

Hello all, I want to drill screw holes in this project but would like there to be a flat area around it so that the pattern does not interfere with the screw head. I just cant seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	truck holes.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	421.0 KB 
ID:	62032

Welcome to the forum. Just use drill. (Under Tools Menu - Drill Tool) It works great for that. (Of course, you need the 1/8 cutting bit.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 04-30-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added simple drill example

3. Default

Thanks for the reply bergerud. I plan on using the drill tool, but if i drill a hole right in the center of my circle the screw head will sit right on an angled portion of my pattern. I would like to have a flat surface for the screw head on the same plane as the rest of the non patterned area. Sorry if I am having a hard time describing what I am trying to do (makes perfect sense in my head, lol).

I took the question as how to provide a flat area for a screw.
    If that is the case, if you want the screw to be flush with the top of the board like the example on the left in the picture, all you need to do is draw a circle and set it as a carve region and set the depth to zero. If you want the screw to be at a level below the top of the board like the example on the right in the picture, you will have to do all that, set your desired depth, and set Clip Carving - Inclusive to the pattern. I would still likely drill the hole (or minimally a pilot hole) for the screw as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlatSpotForScrew.PNG  
    Last edited by brdad; 04-30-2013 at 05:47 PM.

5. Default

31in skateboard.mpc31in skateboard.mpcThanks brdad, I am trying to achieve the one on the left. could my problem be because I have another layer involved? I have attached my file, I would appreciate it if you could take a look at it. Thank you.

Yes, that is the issue. I think I found one way to fix it.

Lay out your circles exactly where you want them, then hide everything but vans03, setting it to Clip Carving Exclusive. Adjust the depth of the holes to where you want them. Then group all of your circles and vans03, then select that group and everything in it and then make a pattern from it, you will then have your textured board with the circles as one pattern.

From there you should be able to unhide the items you hid (except for the original vans03).
    Last edited by brdad; 04-30-2013 at 06:30 PM.

How about this? I grouped everything except the circle and changed the circle depth to 0.125.

Edit: sorry brdad, I was playing while you posted!

No problem, it's always great to see multiple ways to accomplish something! And I thought there had to be a way to do it (without having to make a new pattern), which would be the preferred method in case changes would have to be made later on. The only thing you can't do using that method is lower the flat area below the top area of the pattern, which is not an issue for this particular project. But I just realized for that, you could drill a hole to your desired depth the size of your flat area. The only issue there would be if you wanted the flat area between the upper and lover levels of the pattern.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The only thing you can't do using that method is lower the flat area below the top area of the pattern, which is not an issue for this particular project.
    Changing the setting of clip carving to exclusive for the group actually works if you want to lower the disc below. (Trial and error is my method!!)

10. Default Thanks guys!

Thank you both. Here is the final if anyone would like to use it.31.5pintail.mpc