Thread: Its been a loooong time - Need help getting started again.

Default Its been a loooong time - Need help getting started again.

Hoping some of the forum members remember me. To tell the truth I am not even sure when I bought my machine, but I have not used it for almost three years now. The past few years have been rather hard around here but I got thru it and want to drag my machine back out and get her up and running. I do not have the upgraded spindle on it at the present. I do have several questions to help get me going.

Where do I look to find out exactly what version of software I was using three years ago?
    What do I need to do to get a second computer registered for the software? I have a laptop now and think I will need to get everything transfered to it...my desktop has XP and I hardly use it anymore.

Will the newest version of Designer run with my older machine ok or will I have issues in the upgrade? I will probably use the older version with the first couple carves till I get use to what I'm doing again.

Besides lubing the flex shaft is there any other maintenance I should do to the machine before I carve with it again?

I have a couple carvings that I need to get done then I want to send my machine in for the upgrade.....when the time comes exactly how do I do that and what its the cost involved?

I think thats enough questions for one day.....lol I am going to start up my dessktop and see if I can get myself back into making a pattern in designer today. I will check in later...happy to be back in the Carvewright family.

Lin
    Last edited by Lin; 04-24-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Welcome back Lin! See my answers below.

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Hoping some of the forum members remember me. To tell the truth I am not even sure when I bought my machine, but I have not used it for almost three years now. The past few years have been rather hard around here but I got thru it and want to drag my machine back out and get her up and running. I do not have the upgraded spindle on it at the present. I do have several questions to help get me going.

Where do I look to find out exactly what version of software I was using three years ago?
    What do I need to do to get a second computer registered for the software? I have a laptop now and think I will need to get everything transfered to it...my desktop has XP and I hardly use it anymore.
    To find your current version open designer and under the "help" tab "about". If you have not licensed a 2nd computer for your machine before just install designer on it and do the normal registration process using your machine ID. When you upgrade your current version make sure you follow the instructions found on the CarveWright site.

Will the newest version of Designer run with my older machine ok or will I have issues in the upgrade? I will probably use the older version with the first couple carves till I get use to what I'm doing again.

Designer works on all versions of the machine.

Besides lubing the flex shaft is there any other maintenance I should do to the machine before I carve with it again?
    Do a good cleaning/lube of all the rails and bearings, corner posts and lead screws. Inspect the QC for any sign of wear and rust and lube the inside with a light coat of 3-1 oil. Also note the the CarveWright sight now has some great information now for the maintenance of the machine. It would be a good time to review them before getting started.

I have a couple carvings that I need to get done then I want to send my machine in for the upgrade.....when the time comes exactly how do I do that and what its the cost involved?
    When you get ready I would suggest you just call CarveWright.

I think thats enough questions for one day.....lol I am going to start up my dessktop and see if I can get myself back into making a pattern in designer today. I will check in later...happy to be back in the Carvewright family.

Lin
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hi Lin, just wanted to say, It's nice seeing you here again -- I've been sidelined nearly as long as you.
    CW Designer is almost a foreign language to me right now, I'll have to work at it awhile to get up to speed again.
    Last edited by Kenm810; 04-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken,
    I am finding that I don't remember how to do what I want designer to do but I am checking out some older carvings I did in designer...hoping it will refresh my memory. If I can't figure it out I will holler back. Glad to be back in the Carvewright comminity.

FWHarris, Thanks so much for answering all my questions.

Lin

Welcome back Lin. Do think I had my machine when you were active here on this forum but it is always good to have experienced users active here. Ken I'm also glad to see you here more and more. I have missed your help and wit!

Welcome back. It is like riding a bike, you may fall but there is always someone here to pick you up.
    Hav fun

Leo
    Life is to short carve something today
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Glad to see you back .
    I had a few patterns that you helped me with in times past

Gary
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team