Thread: Sharpened Dowels... Finishing Jig...

Default Sharpened Dowels... Finishing Jig...

Was watching the American Woodworker on Saturday, Episode 613 if I remember correct.. It was Finishing Tips.... The one tip that slapped me on the side side of the head... Was 2 inch long Dowels sharpened in a pencil Sharpener and stuck into Rigid Insulation Foam and used to support a item being finished.... WOW.... What a GREAT idea.... Many may have seen it before but I thought it was worth mentioning..

Thought I would pass it along.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I've been doing something similar for years. I have dowels sharpened and cut to 3" long. I take wood scrap and cut it into squares about 2"x2" and drill holes in all of it 1/2" deep with the drill press and glue in the dowels to use for finishing. I also have some finishing boards for odd occasions, like when I am finishing large scroll sawed letters and words. It's basically the same thing on a piece of mdf that is 2'x2' with the holes drilled 1" apart to make a kind of finishing grid. It's a great method, glad you brought it up. Much better than spending a fortune on the plastic painter's helpers.

I've got about 72 of the plastic Painter's Pals. I've also used scrap pieces with brad nails shot from the bottom and sticking up about 1.25"