Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Text Pattern

Oh yes those plans are always simpler in the mind!

If you do not have the DXF importer you can post you ai file and we can convert it for you...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Oh yes those plans are always simpler in the mind!

If you do not have the DXF importer you can post you ai file and we can convert it for you...
    Okay, I have my ai file of the poem and I do not have the DXF importer. Do I post it here in the forum or email it to someone (I don't want to break any rules)?
    Also, this is far above my expertise so I have a couple questions:
    1. What is gained (as far as the machine is concerned) by converting the text to a vector?
    2. Are there better tools I should have to accomplish this type of work?
    Any suggestions are always appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldove View Post
    Okay, I have my ai file of the poem and I do not have the DXF importer. Do I post it here in the forum or email it to someone (I don't want to break any rules)?
    1. What is gained (as far as the machine is concerned) by converting the text to a vector?
    Thanks
    I would turn that poem into a Font and carve it with the CW Centerline program. Put the first line under the letter "A", line two, letter "B" and ect. I could do that for you, I would need your e-mail, "PM" me with your e-mail. I don't like to post my e-mail on an OPEN Fourm. I would need a clean image of your poem, It's OK to have a white background. It would be like turning the poem into a DingBat Font.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you... I spent the afternoon hooking up my tow system to tow my car behind my motorhome and while it saved me a couple of grand, it wasn't exactly the cakewalk I'd hoped it would be...

Converting the text to a vector will allow the machine to carve the text similarly to a pen on paper... like this...

instead of a back and forth carve like this....

A v-type bit is preferable for doing a vector carve...

You can post the pattern here (click on "go advanced" and add to attachments) and you're likely to get several responses

Lawrence

Thanks

Thanks
    The vector carves are fast than a pattern/raster carve.

You can post your ai file here but you will need to do it as a zip file do to the ai is not an acceptable file format for uploading.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Sorry it took a while to get back to you... I spent the afternoon hooking up my tow system to tow my car behind my motorhome and while it saved me a couple of grand, it wasn't exactly the cakewalk I'd hoped it would be...

Converting the text to a vector will allow the machine to carve the text similarly to a pen on paper... like this...

instead of a back and forth carve like this....

A v-type bit is preferable for doing a vector carve...

You can post the pattern here (click on "go advanced" and add to attachments) and you're likely to get several responses

Lawrence
    I see. I have not purchased centerline yet but I'm assuming the popular opinion is I should. I do have the carvewright bit set but I put the rock chuck on my machine. I'll have to take off the rock and use the quick change to use the 60. This isn't a problem as long as the results are worth it.
    PS I thought the centerline program was only 50 bucks. It's 100?
    Assuming I go the vector route I will need centerline?? Right?

I appreciate the help

I see. I have not purchased centerline yet but I'm assuming the popular opinion is I should. I do have the carvewright bit set but I put the rock chuck on my machine. I'll have to take off the rock and use the quick change to use the 60. This isn't a problem as long as the results are worth it.
    PS I thought the centerline program was only 50 bucks. It's 100?
    Assuming I go the vector route I will need centerline?? Right?

I appreciate the help
    Centerline is just a text carve enhancement. You do not need it to carve vectors although it is a good feature to have along with the conform add on. I see know reason why you would have to change back to the QC to use your 60* bit. If it still has the adapter on it you can remove it to use in the rock chuck.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Also, don't take off your rock chuck... which one do you have (the 1/4 or a 1/2 with adapter)

Just use a good quality V bit and the ($100 is well worth it IMHO) centerline text function and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

I like these bits-

here's the 1/2 inch
    http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-501-11...=cmt+60+degree

and here's the 1/4 inch shank
    http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-001-11...=cmt+60+degree

If you have the 1/2 inch rock chuck I recommend the 1/2 inch so you don't need the adapter.

V/r
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Also, don't take off your rock chuck... which one do you have (the 1/4 or a 1/2 with adapter)

Just use a good quality V bit and the ($100 is well worth it IMHO) centerline text function and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

I like these bits-

here's the 1/2 inch
    http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-501-11...=cmt+60+degree

and here's the 1/4 inch shank
    http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-001-11...=cmt+60+degree

If you have the 1/2 inch rock chuck I recommend the 1/2 inch so you don't need the adapter.

V/r
    Lawrence
    I have no idea why I didn't think to remove the bit adapters. My rock is the 1/4 so I won't be able to use some of the 1/2 bits I have (don't think I would have anyway).

I appreciate all the help I received from you guys on this forum and specifically from Bill (BJB) for opening my mind to new ideas with the vector info. I now have centerline and the ideas keep coming about how to use it. Once I get the crib done I'll post a photo here. This is my first "big" woodworking project so while the carving came out great the rest is pretty good.

Thanks all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12