Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Love to see a CW customer win this...

Number one looks hard to beat. Inlays and hand work. Looks like old school Vs CNC. Will be interesting.

Go cast your vote. Help Dick win! It would be nice to have a fellow carvewright user win this contest!

I voted... and it was actually a tough call.

I've met and enjoyed meeting Bill Wyko and he's a great guy and was really helpful in giving me assistance with my humidor. This humidor, as is the case with his other work, is amazing.

Some of the other pieces (especially the maze) were pretty cool and showed innovation, but in the end I think it is really down to Dick and Bill's projects.

It really is close as to the "awesomeness" of the projects but in the end, Dick's work felt more "out of the box" and while it displayed excellent craftsmanship,
    at the same time it was really out of the norm comfort zone for many woodworkers. The hinges and shape of the box really displays excellent command of compound angles.

I tried not to let the comments about CNCs/lasers affect my voting, but I understand I am biased and a little sensitive about folks making comments
    about CNC work being "of less value" than non-cnc work... until you actually use a CNC it is difficult to comprehend the skills using one required. In addition,
    there is often (as in this case) a lot of "traditional woodworking" involved in projects that also use a cnc.

My vote is in, and though a tough call, I went with Dick's box... and though it wasn't an easy decision, I would like to think my decision is based on merit and not just on
    the fact that he used a CW... he truly deserves to win IMHO.

Lawrence

Not only is it a great project, but a great explanation of the build process in a really top-notch video. It does a fine job of incorporating the Baleigh logo through out. I voted. Dick's leading now.

If you are a member at Sawmill Creek; go vote!

The other project by Bill Wyko is, also, truly amazing. It will be a very close race.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I too, was torn between the top two contenders and settled back in my chair to see if I could make myself impartial for a few minutes!

While Bill's box was unquestionably superbly detailed (with the inlay and so on), in the end I felt that Dick's box design better represented the Bailiegh company's "heart and soul" so he got my vote. I really liked all the other entries as well. Each displayed a lot of talent. It sure was a tough decision alright!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks all for your interest and comments on the contest and my entry. Special thanks to those who voted. I didn't win, but had fun and stretched my skills a bit. The winning entry was amazing and certainly deserving. Still, I'm satisfied to have put forth a respectable entry and in the process I believe showed what a machine like our CarveWright is capable of doing. Also have several ideas on how the build could have been improved - saving those for the future.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of comments on the hinges that I got here, on the Sawmill Creek forum, and on YouTube. I'm seriously thinking of how to convert the project to one sans logo, and have a couple of ideas on that, so hopefully I can get that done and offer the project in the Pattern Depot. I also have another twist on the hinges that I'd like to try. But first of course there is the CarveWright contest to enter! Still entertaining ideas on what to enter for that while I am on the road.

It was a valiant attempt. The old school "furniture" box was really excellent craftsmanship. Wow, but not however, an "out of the box" type of project like yours. You had a strong second. Blew away everyone else. I cannot wait to see what you come up with for the CW contest!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567