Thread: First try.

Default First try.

So, I did a first go round with the probe this evening. I scanned a small, cheap, plastic rococo picture frame I got at a craft store for a dollar. It produced a reasonable result, but I noticed that the probe would deflect significantly when it would try to drop onto higher, steeper areas. The results were obvious skewing and warping of detail in the finished scan. Shouldn't the probe be more rigid? How can this be mitigated?

Nobody? I was thinking perhaps I could scan the piece twice at 90° angles and merge them...

I haven't done many scans, but my guess is that the profile of your object might be to deep carve if it doesn't scan properly.
    Can you clean up the original scan in pattern editor?

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

In this case it would be difficult. There's an entire ridge missing because the probe deflects too much. I'd have to paint that back in somehow, and if I have to make up whole features, what's the point of scanning? And I can't see how it would be too deep. The whole piece isn't much more than 0.25" deep, with no undercuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post
    In this case it would be difficult. There's an entire ridge missing because the probe deflects too much. I'd have to paint that back in somehow, and if I have to make up whole features, what's the point of scanning? And I can't see how it would be too deep. The whole piece isn't much more than 0.25" deep, with no undercuts.
    Just saw this...I've used the scanning probe a lot in the past. Have not had a problem like you describe. Is it possible you can post the scan here? (i.e., the raw MPW file)

If you don't want to post the scan publicly, but DO want some feedback on it, you are certainly welcome to email it to me and I will be happy to take a look to see what's up. (I will be leaving soon for a Vectric conference, April 10-14...Wednesday through Sunday, so I can peek at it either before or after that.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Make sure you are using optimal on the scan. I know I've been disappointed with some scans. Also after scanning sometime, taking the probe apart and cleaning the points improved scans.
    thanks so much!
    karl