Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut motor stopped in the middle of a project and it wont restart

Default Cut motor stopped in the middle of a project and it wont restart

The cut motor stopped in the middle of a project; I only have 40 hours on the machine and less than 25 on the cut motor. The error was something about an axis (sorry I did not write it down), so I cleaned and oiled everything again, because I had just done the 25 hour maintenance before my last project that turned out fine.

I tried to start the project again and the machine proceeded to go through the process of carving the project; only the cut motor was not running. All the axis were going through the motions, but the motor was silent.

When I test the cut motor in the options menu it say the cut motor is running, but the machine is doing nothing. If I lift the cover during this test the motor makes a slight "chunk" sound. It makes the sound again when I close the cover and press a key. I also check the sensor and the rpm counted up: 1,2,3 as I turned the bit.

Please help.

Check to make sure the two wires to cut motor are plug in, they sometimes come loose.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

The reason you got a axis stall was because the motor stopped and the bit stopped cutting. It sounds to me like the problem is not the motor. Beside the fact that it is new, the jerks imply that it is actually working. I think the problem may be the motor control system. I could be a part on the small circuit board called the X termination board. The electronic motor switch is on that board.

If you are still under warranty, you should wait until Monday and talk to a tech at LHR.

If you are not under warranty and are prepared to dig into the machine a little, you could look at the X termination board for signs of burnt parts. To see it, you have to take the bottom cover off of the machine.

Thank you both for your replys. When you mention the wires, are you talking about the two wires at the back of the motor? I can see the connection on the front end where the cable attaches, that is connected, but in what I have been reading there are more wires at the back of the motor. Do I have to take the cover off to check those? I am still under warranty, would that void the warranty to take the cover off?

I will absolutely contact LHR tomorrow.

You have both given me some hope and kept me from having a terrible weekend.

Thank you

As far as what will void the Warranty? Don't have a clue on that.... Things change....

The fact that you hear the Thumping of the Cut Motor is Encouraging when you open or close the cover... That I believe is really related to the LEFT side clear cover safety switch telling the computer that you opened the cover. That is just a guess...

So lets talk about the Cut Motor.... The Cut Motor has 2 wires... A Black and a White Wire. On the bottom of the machine there is a X Termination board that also has a Black and a White Wire. The Black from both connect together. That leaves 2 White Wires that go through the Right Side Clear Cover Safety Switch. That switch has a black and a white wire, and the return power or white wire goes through the switch, it does not matter what wire. It would be worth TUGGING on the Push on Connectors from the motor and X Termination Board as it has been reported that the CRIMP on the connectors has been LOOSE and causing this very same problem.

Then there is the RIGHT side Safety Switch.. Checking it for function is always good.... And be sure the clear cover tang is actually pushing the switch in and the switch screws are not loose.

Then there is the Cut Motor... Sometimes the cut motor brushes stick.... Thumping the cut motor lightly with the back of a screwdriver can sometimes free up the brushes. That tells you that you will need to open the cut motor and clean the brush area.

Then there is the X Termination Board... You must have seen the other posts with pictures... The Broken C1 can cause this as can other problems like a BURNT or brown Resistor next to C1.

Then we have the big question.... Do you have Dust Collection? Do you have the Dust Collection Grounded as in do you have a ground wire from the machine frame to the dust collector grounding it all together. Without a Ground, a Static Electricity Charge can build up on the machine and it will look for a place to jump to GROUND.... Through the Cut Motor is a easy way... As the Static is Thousands of volts... Like a Spark Plug.... I have seen pictures of X Terminations boards with BLACK BURNT marks... I believe this is a RESULT of the Static Charge....

If you DO have Dust Collection what version do you have?

Good Luck,

AL

This is not my picture, It looks like Dust Collector Static Damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burnt X Termination.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-07-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I checked the X Termination Board. Nothing look out of place and all the connections are tight.

I do have a Ringneck Blues dust collector and it is grounded.

The small circuit baourd on the top front of the cut motor is a little loose, the connections are tight, but the board itself is loose, would this cause an issue?

When I spin the bit by hand I can feel the motor turn with some slight resistance, it also makes a faint scraping sound. Should I check the brushes?

Thanks again.

Good you have the best Dust Collector and GREAT it is Grounded....

UN plug the machine and remove the bottom. Look at the X Termination Board for a broken C1 lead or BURNT parts like the other one posted here TODAY...

Let us know,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I did that yesterday, no burnt marks, it was on a previous post, I called LHR, they asked me to check to motor connections on the bottom of the machine and they said if I pull up on the wires at the back of the cut motor, I can check a connection there as well, but I could not move any of the wires at the back of the cut motor. Do I need to take off the top cover for this?

I also rechecked C1, it is actually epoxied to the board. So, it is not loose. The more I work on it, the more I am convinced it is the cut motor itself. It is so hard to turn the cable inside the flex shaft (easier to turn it with the spindle) when I run the cut motor test, the motor makes a sound like it wants to turn, then the screen states the cut motor is running. I will call LHR again in the morning.

Thanks again

Might check for dust in the right cover switch or just try getting it to click with something small. I wired around it and that ended all the chunking noises. However now with the lid up the cut motor will not run while the machine will.
    Last edited by gashawk; 04-08-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    thanks so much!
    karl

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast