Thread: Board Thickness

Default Board Thickness

Got a piece of Black Walnut thats over 30 years old, want to do a carving of Last Supper in it. My question is since it's 1 1/2" thick will I be able to just carve it like normal? I only plan on going .800 on the depth.

The Board Sensor may not see it because it is too dark. You use masking tape on the board edges. And watch for Scaling due to a improper measurement due to the dark wood.

IF the wood is rough or tapered you may need to use a sled... I see this is your FIRST post.... WELCOME !!!!
    Be sure to read Tips and Tricks before you commit to this Valuable Wood...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

What Al was dancing around saying is... WHOA!! Sounds like you are trying to run before learning to walk. Something I do before committing a piece of fine wood, is do a test carve. I always keep MDF around for test carves. Like he said, the wood must be flat and square to track properly. Or use a sled. But either way, do a test carve before you carve in that Black Walnut. Just my opinion of course.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

At first the edges where rough cut but I squared the edges on my table saw extremely smooth now, ran a straight edge over the top all the way down the board maybe a 1/32" low in one to two spots. I've been carving since January this year have done a lot of crosses, angels, a train, and the LS all in pine or popularand obechie. Got the walnut from a friend that would like the Last Supper done in another piece he going to bring me thats the same thickness.