Thread: A couple of different questions

Arrow A couple of different questions

Hi all,
    here is some background on my machine and the recent maintenance and upgrades I have done. I recently replaced Y mortar pack and upgraded to the rubber belt system along with the DC insert (so far the best investment I have made)

I have a couple of questions:
    1. After replacing the Y motor pack, the machine now makes a clicking sound when finding the surface before starting a carve (this happens at the keypad side of the machine) it almost sounds like the bit plate does when it swings out. Any idea what this could be? Or if it causes any harm to the machine.

2. I just completed a carve on an 11 1/4 X 36 board Using my 3/16 carving bit, the carving came out okay but it did not go to the specified depth on my carved region (it did not give me a bit depth error either) in the beginning the machine left a couple of real thin lines of material on the board within the region, any idea what the cause of this could be?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    John

Is your Y belt adjusted correctly. Check it for adjustment and breaks
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

do you use teamviewer? I may be able to assist but would like to connect to your computer to see what's up...

Move the Z truck (unplug the power first) up and down on it's rails. It should move smoothly and quietly. With a little resistance from the Z Drive. It sounds like you might have a broken gear or bearing.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by floridacarver View Post
    do you use teamviewer? I may be able to assist but would like to connect to your computer to see what's up...
    How is connecting to his computer, going to help diagnose his machine?
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

John,

Is it making the clicking sound while the head is moving in the Y or Z direction? If in the Y, check to insure the Y motor is attached good and tight to the gear box housing. Saying this as just replaced the Y motor pack. If it is in the Z see if the flex shaft is not making contact in the opening of the cover.

Your carving depth could be from the bit touching down on a raised part of the board that might be a bit higher than the area it carved or not fully going down and touching the board (could be related if the clicking sound was from the flex shaft making contact with the cover).

The thin lines left could be a board tracking issue.

Lets just say your 2nd best, after all you got the CarveWright first!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Need more input.... IF you grab the Z Truck and tug in all directions do you feel it loose?

IF you replaced the Y Gearbox and Motor they may not be meshing properly.

The Y Motor and Gearbox slide down into a U shaped area of the frame. IF this big plastic GEAR of the Gearbox is not CENTERED the Gear can RUB on the FRAME giving you the Clicking as the Motor tries to over power the rub to the Frame.

More input....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-30-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Here is a new one on me. The Y system was not smooth on my second B machine and I could not, for the longest time, figure out why. Well I loosened the y motor pack and raised it up slightly - smooth. Look at the picture where the screw driver is pointing. The brass motor gear was rubbing on the casing at the bottom of the slot. See the shinny spot? A new one to add to the list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear rub.JPG  

That is interesting....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com