Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victorian Tile

Eddie You are awesome! Lawrence's sled is by far the nicest I've used. I tried to improve on it. But ended up over-engineering and made it too heavy! The other nice thing about a sled. You can add strips of non-skid or sandpaper on the bottom to eliminate traction problems. Some smoother woods or pre-finished woods will have traction problems. Putting strips of masking tape on the bottom of the wood helps improve traction. Another reason I like to use a sled. I made my sled. Then I let the machine measure it. I created a pattern of the sled and use it as a template. When ever I am ready to carve I transfer the project to the sled template in the upper left corner. Then when the machine asks where. I choose place on end, and it only measures it once. Another trick. If you are doing Multiple copies of the same carve. I place a place a 1/6" deep 1/8" dot on the far right of the sled. When the project is carved. It moves the sled all the way to the right to carve that dot. Now I can change boards, without unloading the sled.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post
    Nope. I checked hopefully, but no such option was offered.
    Your CW unit should be asking about staying under the rollers, always say "NO" make sure your out feed tables are adjusted right, maybe a little tight so the board does not drop down, most of the time it may carve OK, if not you will only snap a bit!!!
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post
    Wow. Was I ever overthinking. Or perhaps designer was underthinking. I kinda expected that the software would be smart enough to crop down to include only the region to actually be carved. I've been such a fool.
    It’s just a dumb machine; you need to obey its rules.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Your CW unit should be asking about staying under the rollers, always say "NO" make sure your out feed tables are adjusted right, maybe a little tight so the board does not drop down, most of the time it may carve OK, if not you will only snap a bit!!!
    I tried that on my very first carve. It did not go well. A strip about 4-5mm wide was left uncarved but for an irregular gash in the middle of that strip. I concluded from this that I should answer "Yes" to this question. I'll give it another go.

And yes - the sled from the posted thread looks excellent. It's conceptually simple enough, but has anyone made shop-drawings for it?

So, here it is carved smaller than it ought to be. Yes, there is a lot of fuzz. To what degree is this because of 1) soft pine, 2) scaling, 3) the design's intricacy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tile1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	61258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tile2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	61259

Cutting against the grain cause some of your fuzz. Also move in pine than a harder wood. Also not a smoth transition between levels. Note BJB post Chip Out/fuzz "I think your carving will have a lot of Chip Out, I changed a few things in the CW Designer, carving that deep and a neg image gives a lot of sharp edges, when the bit makes a "Climb cut" it will take that stuff off, every other "Y" cut is a climb cut. Flip things around and change the hieght on both PTN files. BJB"

Yep. I saw that, and I believed him. Still, I needed to see it for myself.

I wonder how it would carve in Corian?

I think you would see less problems in Corian. And I also understand the I got to see it for meyself. I would also try carving BJB to have a visual of the pattern inversed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast