Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dremel sanding buffs

Quote Originally Posted by ridgecrest View Post
    Greg,

I recently had the same experience. I am going to try their detail abrasive brushes next. Here is the link:
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...Abrasive+Brush

I'll let you know how they work.

Reid
    to Greg:
    I was the inventor of these little bristle brushes...for the 3M Company...Dremel buys them from 3M...they have a learning curve and you want to run them a slow as possible to do the job you want done. They were designed for the jewelry industry. They come in a 3/4", 1", 2" and 3" diameter. They are available through Rio Grande too and you can make your own brush. http://www.riogrande.com/Search/bristle-brushes ... many pages of brushes.
    Last edited by Rick P; 08-03-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

those look good for large areas but I do a lot of small detail thingsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5469.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	959.2 KB 
ID:	64492 Im not sure it would get int the crevasses with out sanding down the detail

The 3M Radial Bristle Discs come in a 3/4 inch diameter and a 120 grit...you can but them as separate discs and stack 5 or 6 together, which makes a nice, small detail brush for a Dremel tool. Run the brush fairly slow...5000 to 10,000 rpm.
    Rio Grande sells the discs...I think Dremel only sells a brush they make with the 3M Radial Bristle Discs.
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Otto Frei is the cheapest place I have found to get these. The offer quantity discounts, and you get a free mandrel with every bulk pack. They have all the sizes and grits, and ship very fast.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

dehrlich - When I worked at 3M Otto Frei was one of our better distributors...excellent info !! I will check out D&M Woodworks...
    Carver in Minnesota

I just bought some of the 3M bristle brushes (3/4" and 1") , and found them to be pretty good. I bought them from McMaster-Carr along with the mandrels, and they're a lot more affordable. If you run them at low speed they tend to last.

I'm only using them one at a time instead of stacking them up though.

I suppose I should have stacked them up to prevent grooving in my background.... They're not very aggressive on Spanish Cedar, until you don't want them to be.
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Are they cheaper with McMaster-Carr than with Otto Frei? By chance do you have the link you ordered them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    I just bought some of the 3M bristle brushes (3/4" and 1") , and found them to be pretty good. I bought them from McMaster-Carr along with the mandrels, and they're a lot more affordable. If you run them at low speed they tend to last.

I suppose I should have stacked them up to prevent grooving in my background.... They're not very aggressive on Spanish Cedar, until you don't want them to be.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Based on rcadges advice, I ordered from Otto Frei. I received them last night and I tried them out. The work well. Pretty inexpensive around 1.10 each bristle. I did find the faster you spin them, the faster they wear out. I put two together. They did a good job.

Proctorw,

Pleased to hear that you are happy with the bristles from Otto Frei.

I would not want to be with out them.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

I would suggest stacking 3 discs as a minimum for about 99% of the time...4 to 6 is best. I would use only one disc for very delicate sanding of a very finely detailed spot at slow speed. These discs were designed to be used on soft metals in the jewelry business, but have found a home in woodworking. They have a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them, they work very well.(says the proud papa)

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Carver in Minnesota

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast