Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dremel sanding buffs

Default dremel sanding buffs

Dremel 511E & 512E EZ Lock Coarse Grit and Medium Grit and fine Finishing Abrasive Buffs,

they do not last at all. I used them up ( all 4 of them ) in a matter of 10 minutes sanding black willow. I wont buy them again. you have to use extreme light pressure when using them, if you use heavy pressure they will burn up in a matter of 60 seconds, and they just dont sand well. At least not well enough for me.

Greg

Greg,

I recently had the same experience. I am going to try their detail abrasive brushes next. Here is the link:
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...Abrasive+Brush

I'll let you know how they work.

Reid

i cut my own using one of my wifes scouring green or brown pads from the kitchen sink i think they are scotch brand
    i cut round and attach them on the dremel cut off you know the one that normally has the cut off disk and the tiny little screw on the end
    denny

Someone else posted about the Scotchbrite pads. I use them like you do except I don't bother to cut them round, just small squares. They do get used up fast, and also can discolor the wood, particularly the green. They are useful for removing fuzzies in detail but not sanding.

5. Default

I cut the Drywall Sanding screens http://www.amazon.com/3M-9089NA-Dryw...drywall+sander and cut them into squares and put them on a dremel mandrel. They work great. They will work themselves into a circle while you use them.

I like the 1 1/2” sanding mops I get from Stockroom Supply. They do eventually wear out but I feel that they hold up reasonably good. If you decide to try them, before you put them in the chuck set them on a steel surface and give the center a good smack with a hammer to make sure the mandrel is set tight.
    http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/s...ini-mop-4.html

mini mops from RJR Studio - inventor of the original mops and the Sand Flee, are now sold thru sears. Google RJR Studio and you will end up at Sears. At least that is what happened last time I bought a batch. I like their mops the best also - get the 6" double ones. My Sand Flee is the original from many years ago.
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    I cut the Drywall Sanding screens http://www.amazon.com/3M-9089NA-Dryw...drywall+sander and cut them into squares and put them on a dremel mandrel. They work great. They will work themselves into a circle while you use them.
    Hell of a good tip here and much cheaper than buying the 3M Radial discs. Anyone using the dremel ones Gould consider the 3M as try outperform and don't cost as much. I think my local HD sells the dremel disc for a little over $8 Each which is a joke. The 3M radial discs can be found for around $1each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Not for nothing but the iPhones auto spell really stinks. Typos in that last message are the iPhone changing what I said. Damn you Apple. Always thinking you know better than the user

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

I posted a question about sanding over on the Sawmill Creek CNC Forums a couple weeks ago. Got some pretty good answers. You might want to take a peek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-CNC-carvings

If posting links to other forums violates TOS, please remove the link.

One of the answers involved making your own mops out of cloth back sandpaper creating about 4-6 layers on a mandrel. I did a similar thing with sticky backed paper disks, but they pop off the mandrel pretty quickly unless you have a light touch. I think I'll be recycling some from our widebelt sander throwaways at work. There are several outlets which sell these mops. I'd be inclined to use something from 3M or Klingspor rather than the light duty Dremel stuff.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast