Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long carving bit,bad lesson

Default Long carving bit,bad lesson

First time using 1/8 long carving bit, Carving 1.5 depth in pine, best setting, best on bit optimize, Carve started it raster carved at about 1/4 to 3/8 per pass till it got to the full depth then it snapped the bit, That hurt the wallet ouch!!!!!!, What did I do wrong????

Can you post the destroyer mpc?

Hate to look at wallet starts howling
    Attached Files Attached Files

It could be that you went in too fast. I would have used some feather so the bit carves down more slowing. Also, note that when the bit gets to the back of the car, it will have to plunge in deep. It might break or cause stall there as well. I would flip the pattern so the bit goes up the back. It is easy to go up.

I will give it a shot when i get another bit. Thanks Bergerud

I can't open your pattern with my old software. Were you carving with the 1/8" bit or cutting something out?

I had just started the carve. All went well til the bit got down to full depth and started to raster carve it only went about .750 inch an bit ssnapped? Is it possible for the 1/8 carving bit to carve a depth of 1.5 inch with setting at best ?

It sounds to me like you are using the 1/8" cutting bit and trying to carve with it. It is not designed to carve - it is designed to cut out an outline. You should be using the 1/16" bit to do your carving. Remember the 1/16" bit can only cut to the depth of the flutes or 7/8"

I think he was using a 1/8" long carving bit, but I haven't seen the project.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Deolman View Post
    I can't open your pattern with my old software. Were you carving with the 1/8" bit or cutting something out?
    Take another peek at the first post. He states he's using the 1/8" long carving bit. I opened the MPC and yes, indeed...he assigned the correct bit.

I agree a feather would help...I might have designed the car with a sloping/slanted back end, as well, so it was gentler on the bit - then trim off the unwanted excess with a saw. That's a fairly challenging (risky) cut going so deep and "straight" down. I am so sorry you broke the bit...that does hurt, alright! I broke a $57 bit on my "brand-x" machine the other day myself.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-20-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast