Thread: How do you price?

Default How do you price?

I have had my machine for 7 days now and have cut out a couple of neat patterns. The Cross with the Face of Jesus came out really cool. I have had some people ask me to make them one. My question, how do you price your items. Here is what I was thinking for a 12" cross and a 6" cross. Wood would either be Cherry or Mahogany (about the same price, although the prices below reflect Cherry).

12" Cross my cost for wood is $10.15. For the 6" Cross, $6.77. I figured I would add $1.00 for tung oil finish (2 Coats) and instead of trying to figure out labor (Planing and ripping the wood, making the sled for the crosses which is a 1 time cost) I would charge for machine time. The 12" cross takes 2 hours and the 6" takes about 1.2 hours. I need to figure out what a reasonable charge would be as I would like to make some profit . I ran the numbers just to get an idea of what I would charge. For $8.00 per hour of machine time the 12" cross would be $27.23 and the 6" cross would be $16.65. For $12.00 per hour the 12" would be $35.23 and the 6" would be $21.05. At $15.00 per hour the 12" -$41.23 and the 6" - $24.35.

Thoughts are most appreciated.

My initial thought is $40 -$50 for the 12 inch and $30-$35 for the small one. You'll cut down on carve time somewhat if you batch carve/finish.

Lawrence

Lawrence, thanks for the response. What is your method for pricing your carvings/projects? How do you figure out what you charge?

I figure about $40 a sqft., then adjust for the type of wood, and complexity. I do a lot of box type stuff, like jewelry boxes and burial urns, and they require much more labor than signs and wall hangings, so mark up.
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I start with 4 times the cost of material including patterns. You can always lower the price with a special offer..... You need to charge enough to keep the lights on...

I am dealing with price today in some contact with a Fire Store that is quoting my Tags to a Customer... He wants metal tags that I don't do anymore as they are too thin and bend. I quoted my plastic tags at twice my competitors metal tag price.... My-Lor.com. The Store wants me to drop my price more for my plastic tags with lifetime warranty but I wrote back telling him that the My-Lor product is a Excellent Product and what the Customer is asking for... Recommending He push the My-Lor Tags.... I have a working relationship with the owner of My-Lor and Support Him when I can.... Dropping my price was not on the menu today..... Last week I did drop a $95.00 Item Price to $50.00 in a Introductory Offer for a Fire Dept in North Carolina.... A One time offer to get my product SEEN.... They ordered a Dozen.... A $1140.00 order became $600.00 order.... A $540.00 discount..... Ouch.... $75.00 would have been smarter.... But I am getting into a new market and it could lead to other business.... He is aware it is a one time discount....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for the input. I want to make some extra money, but I want it to be worth my time and be able to recoup some of the machine costs, not just now, but parts in the future. I figured everyone has some type of method to make sure they recover costs, rather than say..hmmm..what would someone pay...again Thanks!