Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ER20 Spindles need to know if theres any interest ...

When I get this installed I will be using the standard carving and cutting bit. Can anyone tell me how much of the bit should stick out of the collet? I have the QC now and I measured about 3" from the tip of the bit to the bottom of the truck. That is the distance I planned on using unless someone has a better Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rjgreen761 View Post
    When I get this installed I will be using the standard carving and cutting bit. Can anyone tell me how much of the bit should stick out of the collet? I have the QC now and I measured about 3" from the tip of the bit to the bottom of the truck. That is the distance I planned on using unless someone has a better Idea.
    The overall spindle is shorter so you need not worry about it being too long. I usually just put the bits in right up to where the threads start.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

The ER20M spindles have about the same geometry as the CT. It is up about 1/2" higher. The bit lengths are not crucial. If you look at the CT bits with their adapters, they are quite long, but as unitedcases says, you can put them in shorter. I think that as long as the truck does not bottom out before the bit gets to the bottom of the carve, you are good.

If you are going to use the deep bits, check that they clear the bit plate. They should but it is worth a check because it is close.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The ER20M spindles have about the same geometry as the CT. It is up about 1/2" higher. The bit lengths are not crucial. If you look at the CT bits with their adapters, they are quite long, but as unitedcases says, you can put them in shorter. I think that as long as the truck does not bottom out before the bit gets to the bottom of the carve, you are good.

If you are going to use the deep bits, check that they clear the bit plate. They should but it is worth a check because it is close.
    OK Thanks, I am looking forward to this. It will be nice to rest my hand on the machine and not feel a vibration buzz.

5. Default

What bearings are we discussing here. Where do order these super bearings and for what part of the machine will it go. Actually changing things in motors worries me, I never did it, guess I need to get familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by edsingletary View Post
    What bearings are we discussing here. Where do order these super bearings and for what part of the machine will it go. Actually changing things in motors worries me, I never did it, guess I need to get familiar.
    We are talking here about the lower spindle bearing in the truck being used for a custom ER20M spindle. This bearing has a larger ID and smaller balls than the standard CW bearing and so has to be of high quality. There are only a few members experimenting with this custom spindle.

7. Default

So if I understand correctly I would need a different spindle as well. I'm not familiar with this aftermarket stuff. I will wait till something is needed. Does anyone know about how long this newest machine goes before any type of breakdown. I keep everything very well lubed as out per video and clean it after each project. I use a dust collection as I bought from CW. I have 23 hours so far. Should I expect a problem this soon. It seems so delicate almost to the point of absurdity. Maybe I'm just reading to much into all the posts here.

How long before it breaks down? That's a loaded question. How lucky do you feel?

9. Default

It just seems to me someone builds a machine that carves wood and runs for an hour or 2 it should have some ruggedness built it. For what I paid and continue to pay it should go a while before it crisis. The warranty is in 100 hour increments so I figure just past 100 something is bound to fail. CR cornered the market on the software stuff. Always buying a license for something. Uhg.

United Cases -- here are a few images of blocks of the longer carves I've done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	69994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2493.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	69995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	69996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	69997. THe eagle is about 54 inches tall -- 3 blocks 54x14 inches glued together, the moon is cut on my other cnc, it's 36x36, the paprus block is a little taller 60 x 42 inches. The eagle block took about 14 hrs per block so 42 hrs, plus guleing it together and proofing and tweaking it to look right.

I have some 8 foot blocks that did take 24 hrs , but they are hard to photograph as there is no contrast in the relief.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2338.jpg   IMG_2339.jpg   IMG_2340.jpg   IMG_2341.jpg  

Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast