Thread: Sensor

Default Sensor

(sorry for hijacking an earlier thread.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated on these two related concerns. I seem to be going through the same problem with the board sensor. I do a a couple carvings a week. Less thank 2 hour carves, stopping every 20 minutes or so to vacuum dust. I do not have a dust collection system installed but, I am presently researching the best model for my needs(dust hood that is). Firstly. When I now try to set up a carve the *clean board sensor* message comes up. I have gone through all the tests and procedures and everything is in order. I have shut the power off to see if it may re-set, no luck. Am I at the point of removing the sensor?
    Next: I do own a large dust collector but it is in my (presently) unheated garage. I use the machine in my basement workshop in the winters (Canada eh). Which dust hood is recommended for a large dust collector(garage) and a shop vac(basement).
    Version C low hours. Sorry for the long post. (newbie). Thank you in advance.

Mike,

What kind of reading do you get when you do a sensor reading check? Have you tried blowing low volume air on the sensor? You probably have dust inside the lens of the sensor.

My DC-INSERT is designed for a standard dust collection system using the 4" hose. I do know of several who do use it with a shop vac system though. They had to get a 4" to 2" reducer to make the hook up. One user removed the 4" pipe and installed a 2" pipe and reported better suction.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I just bought the one from Ervin. It works great. I have a 2 HP collector and ther isn't a hand full of dust in the machine after a 3 hour carve. I love it. You can buy the one that I have from carvewright of ervin either one. Cost is 75.00 shipping included. You have to make a small modification to your machine but believe me it is worth it.
    Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Try cleaning the sensor with a soft cloth. Sometimes blowing mine out isn't enough but after I wipe it clean with the cloth it's fine again.

Update: I did clean with a soft cloth as well with light air pressure. I followed all the instructions that I could find on here and the troubleshooting tutorial. The sensor reading averaged 150. When off the board it was zero. Tried the white paper trick and that reading was fine. I used two different pieces of stock just in case, no difference. Made sure there was not light reflecting back onto stock, no difference.
    I shut the machine off for a couple of hours and tried the set-up again. It accepted it but, when it requested the *carving bit* I loaded it and it went through its checks and then repeated it again. It accepted it the secong time. (asking for the same bit twice in a row happened last week as well but no sensor issues). I will now try my carve. It is only a one hour carve.

I am leaning towards the Erwin hood as well. Just wanted to check if anyone has had any grounding issues with it when using a shop vac.
    Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted.

DO NOT STICK A SHOP VAC INTO A MACHINE THAT IS ON!!!!

You will fry your electronics....I can't say this enough times.

(Sorry, Mike1, I know you said you're a newbie, so I'm not yelling at you.)

Also, when using air pressure to clean a board sensor, crank it up to 80 or 90 psi. Just don't blow off your other electronics with it that high.
    And....dark colored wood is harder for the sensor to read, so put masking tape over the area that the sensor is reading.

Lastly, GET A DUST COLLECTION INSERT! Either Floyd's RingNeckBlues DC Insert & Erwin's Dust Devil will make a TOTAL WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!! I hear this ALL of the time from customers that add them.

(Getting down off my soapbox now.)

Hopping back on to add:
    When you use air to blow the dust out of your machine...blow from the back to avoid blowing all of the dust into your electronics. Still not as good of a solution as a dust insert!
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 03-26-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    I am leaning towards the Erwin hood as well. Just wanted to check if anyone has had any grounding issues with it when using a shop vac.
    Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted.
    I have the Erwin and use it with a large shop vac. I have it and the entire hose grounded and have not had any issues.

The Shop Vac trick sucking the chips out of the machine is very bad as posted above... The act of the chips flowing through the plastic hose makes high voltage static elrctricity and the zap to ground or to the machine will KILL YOUR MACHINE.... Please stop doing it before it is too late....

Either Dust collector is fine. Find the LONG Dust Collector Thread and the art of Grounding the machine and the collector that has been beaten to death in that thread but it is a must read for a new carver...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com