Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge Routing

Default Edge Routing

I'm still in the learning phase of all this carving stuff. While my current project is cutting I decided I wanted to make a sign for the bar. With that said, I have made a simple project which has some edge routing. Is there any tricks to using the 1/2" classic for edge routing?

The actual board I'm going to feed it is 19" L x 5.5" W
    The virtual board in designer is 12" L x 5" W

So my question is, am I better off just carving the word bar then using the machine driven menu to edge route all or can I leave my project as is?

Bar.mpc

I just don't quite get how the edge route will work on a board that is +7 so that it doesn't scale. If I do edge route it as defined in the project, will I just have to cut the excess wood off when its finished routing to actually complete the routed edge?

imho, Edge routing is not the best using the carvewright. The fact that the board must come out from under one roller to reach the edge, is an immediate red flag for me. You can however use a sled, or just provide additional support for the board ends. But there are a few different ways to accomplish what you want. You can simply draw a path and assign the ogee bit. Since all of the bits are plunge bits, they can route any shape or board. The slowest and best (finish) way to do it is, to assign the bit to the path and set the depths where you like them. Now right-click on the path and click group. Now right click on the group and choose create pattern. Save the pattern and then delete the path, and move the new pattern in place of the path. This will accomplish the same thing using just the carving bit.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    I'm still in the learning phase of all this carving stuff. While my current project is cutting I decided I wanted to make a sign for the bar. With that said, I have made a simple project which has some edge routing. Is there any tricks to using the 1/2" classic for edge routing?

The actual board I'm going to feed it is 19" L x 5.5" W
    The virtual board in designer is 12" L x 5" W

So my question is, am I better off just carving the word bar then using the machine driven menu to edge route all or can I leave my project as is?

Bar.mpc

I just don't quite get how the edge route will work on a board that is +7 so that it doesn't scale. If I do edge route it as defined in the project, will I just have to cut the excess wood off when its finished routing to actually complete the routed edge?
    I would use a table router for the edge routing, but if you need to use the CW unit, you can do it this way.(see images and MPC) I would add an inch to the width of your board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar sign-cw.jpg   bar sign-cw 2.jpg   bar sign-cw 2oval.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 03-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

What did I miss in the MPC to make it do this?

Bar.mpc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	853.8 KB 
ID:	60895

Those look like tabs from a cutout. Sorry can't view MPC here.

You need to increase the minimum number of tabs to 4 and increase the tabs per foot to 4.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Also, make the tabs at least 3/16" thick...I can't really tell from the photo, but if the item you are cutting out is too small, then it's not practical to cut out with the CW. You can instead manually assign a bit at a very shallow depth to give you an outline that would be easy to follow to cut free with a band saw or scroll saw.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-14-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Ok, so I still don't understand what it was trying to cut.

I'm trying to make a sign that has "BAR" craved .375" in deep with a routed edge (that obviously has a cut out). No where that I can see has anything setup to cut the whole way through the board other then the rectangle where it would cut the 1/2" classical edge routed board from the remaining scrape around the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    Ok, so I still don't understand what it was trying to cut.

I'm trying to make a sign that has "BAR" craved .375" in deep with a routed edge (that obviously has a cut out). No where that I can see has anything setup to cut the whole way through the board other then the rectangle where it would cut the 1/2" classical edge routed board from the remaining scrape around the outside.
    Hi, Your image looks like your board is not wood. I don't see the image of the 1/2" Classical bit. It looks like there was four tabs but, but the carving came loose. Did you use the 1/8" cutout bit? If it was wood it should look like the attached images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutpath.jpg   IMAG0273.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I would look back on the card. You could have run the wrong project on the machine. What you got seems in no way related to the BAR mpc. Upload again and check to see if the file sizes are the same on the card. Format the card and try again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast