Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in time for Easter!

Likely a stupid question. Why is the board length so long for this MPC? It would seem that the length could be much shorter thereby saving on wood. The pattern dimensions are 8.656 length and 12.648 on width. The board width for the pattern is 14.5 which is about one inch on top and bottom on the cross which makes sense to this newbie. But the length is 8.656. To me, it would make more sense if the length were about 11 inches giving a bit more than one inch on the left and right of the cross making the total board length in the CW about 18 inches. With the board length on this pattern at 24 inches, it would mean a total board length on 31 inches using the 3.5 inches extra on each side. Again sorry for the likely dumb question but I try to conserve my wood as much as possible. I appreciate any insight. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    The trick is the proper position of the hidden "magical" oval! lol
    ok for that can we not put it in the lenght then the wight the cross just asking
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Nice fix Bert.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by JoeinWestMich View Post
    Likely a stupid question. Why is the board length so long for this MPC? It would seem that the length could be much shorter thereby saving on wood. The pattern dimensions are 8.656 length and 12.648 on width. The board width for the pattern is 14.5 which is about one inch on top and bottom on the cross which makes sense to this newbie. But the length is 8.656. To me, it would make more sense if the length were about 11 inches giving a bit more than one inch on the left and right of the cross making the total board length in the CW about 18 inches. With the board length on this pattern at 24 inches, it would mean a total board length on 31 inches using the 3.5 inches extra on each side. Again sorry for the likely dumb question but I try to conserve my wood as much as possible. I appreciate any insight. Thanks
    I tend to carve a lot of MDF. I have it quartered into 2x4 pieces. The when I come home I rip them into three 14.5 pieces each. This gives me 12 per board. Plus 5 inch ends that I can pocket hole onto the ends if I need longer than 24. So by default I use this size in designer. Not other reason than that. You can change the sizes yourself. Just be sure to reposition and resize the components. Especially the magic oval!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

You can make it any size you want. The trick is to hide the new face. And then reposition and resize the OVAL to cover the raised portions of the old face.
    "Carved with Love"

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/graven_image

graven image

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
    Jump to: navigation, search
    [edit] English

[edit] Noun

graven image (plural graven images)
    1. A carved idol or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=graven_image&oldid=15364885"

I think as long as you don’t pray to that peace of wood you would be OK.
    NOW YOU TELL ME!! LOL I will give him his choice. I do not argue politics or religion!
    "Carved with Love"

Great Job..you gettn pretty good with the pattern part
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpaluck View Post
    Great Job..you gettn pretty good with the pattern part
    You and Eddie have been very inspirational! I really enjoyed following you both developing your skills in the pattern sharing depot! Having a couple months with out a cut motor, has definitely improved my skills.
    "Carved with Love"

Is there a way to rotate the image 90 degrees. I don't have a sled yet, so if I use a 10" board, it limits the height of my cross. If I could rotate 90 degrees I could get a 10 or 12 inch cross. Can this be done via designer? Newbie here, had the machine 5 days and still have a lot to learn. trying to figure out what you can do with designer, before I plunk down more $$$ for some of the other software packages.

Unfortunately you can not rotate a cut path. Gimme a sec and I'll fix it fer ya!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badbert; 03-16-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    "Carved with Love"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast