Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cursive Name Cutout Help

Make sure you post your final version before you cut it out. What you are attempting is a little tricky and the forum members my have some last minute suggestions.

That warning message will pop up during upload as a matter of course depending how you design/layout your project.

For example, all of the Projects of the Month are designed/laid out in such a way that the design fills the entire layout board length. Because of this, the "warning" will always pop up because the software is assuming I am going to be using a board the same size as the design layout (which would be too short to stay under the rollers). In reality, this warning can safely be ignored as far as the POM files are concerned since I specify what the ACTUAL board dimensions are to be placed into the machine...in other words, the board dimensions will include the extra length to assure they stay under the pressure rollers at all times. You can download any of the POM instructions and you will notice I include a "blurb" regarding this scenario.

So, when designing your own projects, do as Dan mentions and be sure you place a board (or jigged board) into your machine sized in such a way that the project remains captive under the rollers during the entire project run. I wrote a couple Tips & Tricks articles that explain layout, board size, etc. in additional detail and include illustrations of board layout vs actual board placed into the machine, etc...

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Dec07.pdf

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Mar09.pdf

Also, when designing your own projects (and if you receive the "warning"), before clicking "Ignore" think about your layout and whether you have REAL problems with the layout or if the pop-up is caused by an "assumed" problem. An example of a REAL problem would be creating a pocket or carve region that spans across the entire width of the board with no allowance for something the pressure rollers can rest upon along the top and bottom edges of the board as it feeds through the machine in the x-axis. A "cavity" such as described can allow the rollers to "drop" into the recess and mess up your day!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Sounds good. I also setup tabs so the letters that it cuts out should remain in place while cutting (I think). Last night when I did my first test cut, I had to keep opening the cover and removing the pieces that were falling in which would get stuck hanging out of the board and between the rollers. I've added 2" on the width of the board which allows the scalloped curve to be 2" from the edge. I was trying to have to feed as little wood as possible (walnut isn't that cheap around here) but I understand the need to have the excess board for tracking purposes.

Here is what I have currently that I plan on running tonight.

Shelf Backing - new.mpc

I plan on having a board 7" longer as described in the tips and tricks acticle provided in the previous post. From what I understand, aslong as the real board is 7" or longer then the one defined in designer, I can ignore any jig issues and choose no to scaling.

The goal here is to have this piece against the wall allowing the color of the wall to be the actual word. Something like this but with her name rather then the star and moon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	60637
    Last edited by doublejz; 03-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Ok, this test cut failed too but I'm close. The problem with this one was that the scalloped curve didn't cut the whole way through. I have the bit set to 1/8" straight and depth to .75". However, it doesn't cut at .75 and if I try to set the depth deeper it won't let me apply the changes. Is there a way to make the arc's a cut out rather then just a vertex with the bit tool settings applied to it?

Name:	IMAG0246.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	60658

Name:	IMAG0249.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	60659

Name:	IMAG0250.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	60660

Name:	IMAG0252.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	60662

Shelf Backing - new.mpc
    Last edited by doublejz; 03-08-2013 at 11:27 AM.

You could make the virtual board thicker in Designer so that you can cut deeper.
    OR
    To make the scallop into a cut out, you would have to join all of your arcs together into one curve which goes from one end of the designer board to the other. With the whole scallop selected, move arc end points onto other arc end points and they will "weld". (Make sure snap to grid is off and it is useful to toggle non end points under the view menu.) When it is all one curve connecting one edge of the board to the other, the cut out button will light up.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You could make the virtual board thicker in Designer so that you can cut deeper.
    OR
    To make the scallop into a cut out, you would have to join all of your arcs together into one curve which goes from one end of the designer board to the other. With the whole scallop selected, move arc end points onto other arc end points and they will "weld".
    I have no clue what you mean here. Can you explain on how to do this a little more?

Ok, well I guess I'll just use my previous project to cut my real board then plane it down on the back side until the scallop is through the board. :-/

Sorry. It was late at night. If you make the board thickness in Designer to be 0.8 instead of 0.75 and make your cuts 0.8 then it will cut through. (The machine may ask about the board thickness before cutting and you answer project thickness.)

The other method of changing the path to a single curve cut path is the better way to do it but it takes some effort too learn all the tricks. I will do it for you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Sorry. It was late at night. If you make the board thickness in Designer to be 0.8 instead of 0.75 and make your cuts 0.8 then it will cut through. (The machine may ask about the board thickness before cutting and you answer project thickness.)

The other method of changing the path to a single curve cut path is the better way to do it but it takes some effort too learn all the tricks. I will do it for you if you want.
    If you want to do it that would be great. At a minimum, I'll be able to look at it to see what you are talking about.
    Last edited by doublejz; 03-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.

I made the scallops all one curve and made it a cut path. I moved it up a little. You may want to move it. If you do move it, the cut may disappear if the end points are not on or over the ends of the board. Good luck. I know, there is a lot to learn.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast