Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cursive Name Cutout Help

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    Since I already have this thread open and its related. Can someone explain why the inside of the Q isn't able to be cut. The attached file was just outlined and nothing more but if you select the inside of the Q in the carving list, you'll see that Cut isn't an option.

Attachment 60597
    Here is the dxf converted. I also created cut outs to show you that this is the way. You are making the letters into carve regions and then outlining them. (The reason the inside of the Q does not work was explained by MT in another thread as the outline is not closed. Kind of a bug. If you shrink it down before outlining it might be closed.) Anyway, you do not need to do that. Just cut out the letters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I offset the inside of the Q to the inside by .001" then created the path from the offset. You don't need manual tabs with the cutout tool unless you just want to join the letters together.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Here is the dxf converted. I also created cut outs to show you that this is the way. You are making the letters into carve regions and then outlining them. (The reason the inside of the Q does not work was explained by MT in another thread as the outline is not closed. Kind of a bug. If you shrink it down before outlining it might be closed.) Anyway, you do not need to do that. Just cut out the letters.
    I see, thanks! Hopefully I get the hang of this. My father inlaw has had a compucarve in his wood shop for years and has used it twice. I'm trying to get some projects created and get some hours on it soon. Thanks again.

You should also note that for the cut outs, I restricted the depth of the passes to be 1/4". It will take a few passes to cut it all out but the risk of breaking the bit is reduced. Make sure the board is long enough to stay under the rollers during the whole operation (extra 3.5 inches on each end) or tracking may not stay accurate and, again, the bit could break.

I got a little confused on my last post. If you have the 3D tools you can even puff the letters a little. I did and tried to attach the .mpc but the file was to big.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    I see, thanks! Hopefully I get the hang of this. My father inlaw has had a compucarve in his wood shop for years and has used it twice. I'm trying to get some projects created and get some hours on it soon. Thanks again.
    Whoa! MIster LOL! Unless you want your next posts to be about broken bits... You might want to learn about some maintenance issues. And get real familiar with it. That machine has been sitting. It will need a serious cleaning and good lube job before you even turn it on. These things are a lot of work, and a lot of fun when they do work!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Ok, so I tried the attached mpc on a piece of scrap plywood (yes I know.... plywood) just to see what it would look like. It did kick out some small pieces but I contribute that to the plywood as well as the small pattern with tiny "tabs" if you will.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0235.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	60632

The part that confuses me is that it went through with the 1/16 ballnose and carved everything down 1/4" and then asked for the 1/8" cutting bit. After I swapped out the bit, it then went over everything again cutting through the board. Is there something I did wrong in the mpc? I don't see why it used the carving bit to achieve the same thing that the cutting but did.

Shelf Backing.mpc

It is because you have both a carve region and a cut path assigned to each of your paths. The 1/16 carving bit was carving out the inside of the paths and then the cutting bit was cutting along the paths. I think you want to remove all the carving and just do the cutting. The machine will not even ask for the carving bit if you remove all the carving. Under the view menu choose to toolbars and check carving list. You will see in the list what is assigned to each path.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It is because you have both a carve region and a cut path assigned to each of your paths. The 1/16 carving bit was carving out the inside of the paths and then the cutting bit was cutting along the paths. I think you want to remove all the carving and just do the cutting. The machine will not even ask for the carving bit if you remove all the carving. Under the view menu choose to toolbars and check carving list. You will see in the list what is assigned to each path.
    Ok. I think I figure it out and I believe I removed the carve region. Also, is there a way to do a cut through with the arcs on the bottom of the board? When I went to upload it, it said that I needed to do a manual or auto jig due to cutting the edge of the board (possible to break the bit). It wouldn't let me set it to a cut out so I set the bit to 1/8" straight and the depth to 3/4" so it would cut through it. Is there a better way to do this if possible?

Shelf Backing - new.mpc

The reason for the warning message is because the cut outs go to the ends of the board. This means that the board has to leave the brass board tracking roller to do the cutting on the lower left. This is dangerous because tracking is not as accurate. If the board slips a little on the belts, the machine will not know and the bit could get broken. You always want to stay under the rubber rollers and on the tracking roller. All you have to do is make the board longer or put it on top of another board (sled). I would also move the scalloped curve farther in to stay away from the edge of the board. You should go back to the cut out with tabs as oppossed to the bit assignment method.
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast