Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cursive Name Cutout Help

Default Cursive Name Cutout Help

I'm new to this pattern creation portion. What I'm attempting to do is to make my daughter a cutout of her name to finish up the nursery before her arrival. I'm trying to make the cut of her name be all connected and in cursive. I've attached the project which I know isn't correct but the problem I'm having is if you just type Jacqueline in French Script MT the J isn't connected to the rest of the letters. When I move the J over to overlap with the a, things get weird.

I'm also going to be using 3/4" wood with the 1/16" ballnose. I set the depth to .75 within "select bit" so I would think it would be a cutout, yes?

Any help will be great, thanks!

Jacqueline.mpc

I didn't have time to mess with it... But 2 choices.. 1 is to type the J Separate and place it over the Whole typed name just to get the size then go back to the name and delete the J from the Spelling and make it a J and the rest of the name as 2 words. Then you can position the J to proper position.

OR you can draw a rectangle and place it as a connector between the J and the rest of the name as all one word and then outline that. Adjust the Rectangle Connector to size to make it work then remove it leaving just the outline.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

There is a video on Ask Buds page that explains how to do text cut outs. http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-...0downloads.htm. Scroll down to "Text Cutouts" There is alot of other good training videos there that can help us. I am still fairly new myself here. Lawrence also has instructional videos on this at http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ghlight=sister Scroll down the the bottom of the page and you will see his post and the videos attached.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    There is a video on Ask Buds page that explains how to do text cut outs. http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-... downloads.htm. Scroll down to "Text Cutouts" There is alot of other good training videos there that can help us. I am still fairly new myself here. Lawrence also has instructional videos on this at http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ghlight=sister Scroll down the the bottom of the page and you will see his post and the videos attached.

Rob
    Great post Rob! Keep it up! Good call for askbud!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    Great post Rob! Keep it up! Good call for askbud!
    Thank you! I am glad to be part of this forum. I have gotten so much help from here and believe it or not with me being new I have already got a bunch of private messages from others asking for help and because of what I have learned from others here I was able to help them out.

I played with it a little. You can have a look and see if this is sort of what you want. I connected the J and converted it to be cut out with the 1/8 cutting bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I played with it a little. You can have a look and see if this is sort of what you want. I connected the J and converted it to be cut out with the 1/8 cutting bit.
    Thanks. After playing around with this it appears that cutting each letter out and gluing it to the shelf will look better. I already created the file in illustrator, traced it and exported it as a dxf file. However, with not having bought the DXF importer license I can't import and save it as a mpc. Could someone import the attached file and remove the box/outline around the name and save it as a mpc file? I'm not sure spending $200 is worth my first attempt of making a sign.

carvewright.dxf

How is this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    How is this?
    Ran into an issue with the letters touching. I tried breaking it up in carvewright but things got ugly. Can you import this DXF and save it as a mpc again? Thanks a ton!!

Capture.dxf
    Last edited by doublejz; 03-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Since I already have this thread open and its related. Can someone explain why the inside of the Q isn't able to be cut. The attached file was just outlined and nothing more but if you select the inside of the Q in the carving list, you'll see that Cut isn't an option.

cursive.mpc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast