Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panel Saw

I honestly guess it would depend on what kinds of wood work you are doing. For me, a table saw is one of the most important, fundamental pieces of equipment in my shop. Dados cut on a table saw are so much cleaner than with a router, and if you are making several pieces at once, it's easier to set it up one time than to reset router guides over and over, at least for me. But I also use my table saw to rip, cut box joints, cut rabbits, make tapered table legs, and even cross cuts when I want them very clean or precisely mitered. It does take up a lot of space, but for the things I do, it's priceless.

I, personally, want a sliding miter saw that does 16" cuts to replace my radial arm saw. I'm sooooo tired of that piece of junk taking up room!

I love my homemade panel cutter. Ripped a piece of 1/4" plywood about 12" wide and stapled a 1x2x1/2 thick down the middle. Then run your circular saw against the guide and rip off the edge. That edge will now be your marking guide. You can turn the saw around to the narrow side of the saw plate and rip the opposite side against the middle piece. I use big spring clamps to hold it to the plywood I'm ripping. I have one for 8' and one about 52" for 4' or shorter. They're lightweight, cheap, and accurate. If you goof up the edge, it's easier to clean up narrow pieces on the table saw. I also use it to straighten rough boards that have no straightedge and then run it on the jointer.
    Last edited by wlkjr; 03-01-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I love my homemade panel cutter. Ripped a piece of 1/4" plywood about 12" wide and stapled a 1x2x1/2 thick down the middle. Then run your circular saw against the guide and rip off the edge. That edge will now be your marking guide. You can turn the saw around to the narrow side of the saw plate and rip the opposite side against the middle piece. I use big spring clamps to hold it to the plywood I'm ripping. I have one for 8' and one about 52" for 4' or shorter. They're lightweight, cheap, and accurate. If you goof up the edge, it's easier to clean up narrow pieces on the table saw. I also use it to straighten rough boards that have no straightedge and then run it on the jointer.
    I use hardboard and make the exact same set. I put little squares of no-slip on the back side. This also gives a Zero Clearance effect for you circular saw.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by lostparts View Post
    Strait up who use's there dado kit?? I used mine once and only once! It takes way to long to set up the saw. Now I lock down a strait edge and break out the router! I have never thought about the tracksaw, but again it would still need alot of room or at least a table to hold the work piece.

I do need a larger work space! Sadly I am set up in my basement, along with my collection of lawn mowers!! But the war department has vetoed my last barn building plan (I was told we needed another tractor!? we own 3??)
    I rarely use my tracksaw anywhere but on the bed of my truck or ground within about 2 feet of my truck (sometimes on a fold out table I put right by my truck bed-- I put a piece of styrofoam down on the truck bed (or ground) and just cut the piece there with my tracksaw- the blade cuts into the styrofoam insulation... easy peasy... no back pain from lifting sheets around and the cuts are finish quality.

Lawrence

A second vote for Laerence's described technique. With the circular saw set to just cut through the thickness of your 4 by 8 panel it leaves just a slight cut into the blue foam insulation board and very seldom any tear-out along that cut. Saves my back every time.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by jmoriearty View Post
    I honestly guess it would depend on what kinds of wood work you are doing. For me, a table saw is one of the most important, fundamental pieces of equipment in my shop. Dados cut on a table saw are so much cleaner than with a router, and if you are making several pieces at once, it's easier to set it up one time than to reset router guides over and over, at least for me. But I also use my table saw to rip, cut box joints, cut rabbits, make tapered table legs, and even cross cuts when I want them very clean or precisely mitered. It does take up a lot of space, but for the things I do, it's priceless.

I, personally, want a sliding miter saw that does 16" cuts to replace my radial arm saw. I'm sooooo tired of that piece of junk taking up room!
    X2 on a good tablesaw!
    If you can find one, the old Delta Sawbuck is a slider with a 19" cut at 90° & about 12" at a 45°. It is very accurate, but not really portable. Pic in my shop pics http://handcraftedwooddesign.com/shop.html
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Alright I guess I will keep the work space killer. I ordered a track saw, we will see how she do! Thanks for the input, ohhh I ended up with the shop smith. I don't know why he, wanted 300$ for a mark 4 ( I believe that is a good deal IDK) It looks new and appears to have all its stuff with it. My thinking it is so heavy it has got to be worth 300.

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    X2 on a good tablesaw!
    If you can find one, the old Delta Sawbuck is a slider with a 19" cut at 90° & about 12" at a 45°. It is very accurate, but not really portable. Pic in my shop pics http://handcraftedwooddesign.com/shop.html
    Wow pkunk! I just surfed your site again. Every time I do, I am impressed with your craftsmanship! And nice shop.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12