Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to ask for help. And helping us, help you.

My guess is that the touch blocks are swapped. Note whether the bit makes it to actually touch the block on the sliding plate side.

I've been contacted by another CW User (not using the UCB) but using a board that is 1.25" thick x 13" wide. For some reason, after a Basic software/firmware update, the machine no longer prompts for the user to input the board thickness manually. He has run the same exact project three times previously before the software update. We both think "something changed" in the software/firmware.

Been through the normal troubleshooting (making sure the collet doesn't hit board, checked bearings, belts, travel, lube z-pulley, etc, etc.) Nothing seems amiss there. The issue is the board thickness. He ran the same project on a 0.75" board just for grins. No problem. But, put in the same size thicker board that he has successfully run three times prior, it will not work. Everything stops at the sliding plate in place question. Says "yes" as before, but never has the option for entering board thickness as before. Only gets 1)Retry 2) Abort options.

So, I don't know if ippolito57's UCB is actually at "fault" or if it's a software/firmware issue with the Basic version of Designer or what?!

The user who contacted me has also contacted Tech Support - twice. (again, he does not use the UCB). The first response to the problem was "your bit isn't touching down". (Umm, he KNEW that and that's why he contacted support to find out WHY he cannot manually enter board thickness, so that was a strange response.) He has since sent Support a very detailed second explanation of what's happening, so they are crystal clear this time and hopefully offer a solution/suggestion, etc.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-07-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Bergerud, thank you, you are the best. Also, 100% on the money. The touch blocks were wrong. She's making saw dust again. Also, was not impressed with the sled being made out of MDF. It flexes over the 36 inches. Sides need to be stiffened up. Thanks millions for the simple fix. Best to you and yours always, Joe

I think the two different behaviors have to do with whether the bit touches or not at the brass roller. If the bit touches at the brass roller and then cannot touch the sliding plate, retry or abort are the only options. If the bit does not touch at the brass roller, it still bobs three times trying to touch the sliding plate but then asks for the board thickness. (Note that a sticky system could fool the machine into thinking it touched at the brass roller when it actually did not.)

There is another case where after not touching at the brass roller or the sliding plate, you get a board too thick message. This I found was because the bit plate was too high. Bending the bit plate down a little seemed to solve the problem.

You are correct mtylerfi. I tried to run the program in UCB without touch blocks and never was asked for thickness. Just enter next bit. So, I did what bergerud suggested and put blocks in correct location. Running fine!

Quote Originally Posted by ippolito57 View Post
    You are correct mtylerfi. I tried to run the program in UCB without touch blocks and never was asked for thickness. Just enter next bit. So, I did what bergerud suggested and put blocks in correct location. Running fine!
    Glad to know you got running again! Bergerud is a fantastic resource for all things CW! (and UCB too, of course!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think the two different behaviors have to do with whether the bit touches or not at the brass roller. If the bit touches at the brass roller and then cannot touch the sliding plate, retry or abort are the only options. If the bit does not touch at the brass roller, it still bobs three times trying to touch the sliding plate but then asks for the board thickness. (Note that a sticky system could fool the machine into thinking it touched at the brass roller when it actually did not.)

There is another case where after not touching at the brass roller or the sliding plate, you get a board too thick message. This I found was because the bit plate was too high. Bending the bit plate down a little seemed to solve the problem.
    It's definitely not touching at the brass roller. I thought of "sticky" movement causing a false "touch down", too. Checked, lubed and according to the user, all is ok and smooth.
    This user is very experienced and has several machines. I'm pretty confident he's checking and evaluating well. I suggested he roll back to an earlier firmware as a test. I have no idea if that will make a difference, but worth a shot. Tech Support suggested he install the latest software update...but, he already had and that seems to be when the trouble began (won't prompt for board thickness). It's certainly possible that could be just a coincidence though, and have nothing to do with the software update.

Dan, if you have any other ideas, they will be most welcome!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

If he has several machines and this happens only on the one machine, that would seem to eliminate software.

The machine is behaving as if the bit was touching at the brass roller. As far as I know, that is the only condition where the machine requires there be a touch at the sliding plate and offers no way to continue if not (retry or abort).

Could the truck be bottoming out when trying to touch at the brass roller? (Extend the bit as a test?)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If he has several machines and this happens only on the one machine, that would seem to eliminate software.

The machine is behaving as if the bit was touching at the brass roller. As far as I know, that is the only condition where the machine requires there be a touch at the sliding plate and offers no way to continue if not (retry or abort).

Could the truck be bottoming out when trying to touch at the brass roller? (Extend the bit as a test?)
    The truck is not bottoming out, nor is the chuck hitting the material, says he.

I didn't even ask if he's tried this on one of his other machines! (I was so narrowly focused, it didn't even occur to me, which is kind of "dumb"!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Just a follow-up...

The problem was solved by the CarveWright programmers with a new Firmware version (version 3.104)

This new version compensated for varying length of travel in the Z axis from machine to machine. This new version successfully eliminated the Z measurement error.

The new new firmware is compatible with all Designer versions 1.187 and above

Here is the link to download the 3.104 Firmware and details about the changes that were made to correct the Z error:

http://www.carvewright.com/firmware-update/
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-31-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast