Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to ask for help. And helping us, help you.

Default How to ask for help. And helping us, help you.

First of all, if you are new here, welcome to our community! I call it that because this is much more than a simple forum. This is a place where people have developed a passion for a small CNC machine. We strive to push our machines (and each other) to new limits. You will find that people here WANT to help you fix your machine. Why? So you can teach us new things. Every new member here brings new ideas and fresh insight to our community. So by helping you learn how to repair and maintain your machine. It helps us learn to diagnose and repair our machines. Their are many, very talented and creative minds here.

In order for us to help you, though. We need you to help us. Posting good clear large pictures is a great way to start. You can do that by scrolling down and clicking on "Manage attachments". Also Upload the project (MPC) file you are having problems with. Remember!! If your project contains a pattern you "paid for" replace it with a free pattern before Uploading it!

Their is also a certain amount of information necessary for any diagnosis. Why? Because there is no decisive answer for any one problem. For example: "Lines in carving". The answer to this question could be as simple as the material you are using, to dust in the encoder. So providing us with as much information as possible will help speed up the diagnosis process, and help get you back to carving!

So I am proposing we compile a list of questions that be copied into each message, and then answered by the person posting. I'll post as many as I can think of!

1. Which model machine do you have? The choices are A, B, or C.
    (you can find this by looking at the first letter in your serial number)

2. Which Chuck is your machine equipped with?

3. How long have you owned it?

4. How many hours are on the cut motor?
    (You can find this out by pressing "0" on the keypad and following the prompts)

5. What was the last maintenance or repair performed, and how long ago?

6. Is your machine equipped with sandpaper or rubber drive belts?

7. What kind of dust collection are you using?
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

as you know badbert I have alot of questions, alot of talented people on this sight have helped me, you Included, some of the questions when I thought about it and and figured it out myself and other questions I had was solved by people here on this site I can say it's invaluble after pushing buttons a thousand times.

Default please close cover

My name is Jules
    I have had my C machine for 3 years. I have replaced the cut motor once with only 70 hours of use. i personally am an automotive tech professionally for the last 28 years. and a CNC enthusiast. My problem began yesterday 8.31.15 the lcd screen reads please close cover, i have used my DVOM to check the function of both of the switches located in the cover. They both test good, I have gone as far as to remove the cover completely and jumper both switches with no change in the display. one thing I have noticed is that in the past when I did actually leave the cover open the display would read (Please close cover and push enter), this time it is just (Please close cover). Looking for help.

Thanks Jules

Machine C, 40.00 hours, rubber belts, last maintenance last week.
    When I load a board that is 5.50" wide and run the project when the machine tries to find the thickness it goes pass the edge of the board and can't find the thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by fuquack View Post
    Machine C, 40.00 hours, rubber belts, last maintenance last week.
    When I load a board that is 5.50" wide and run the project when the machine tries to find the thickness it goes pass the edge of the board and can't find the thickness.
    Do you have the sliding plate in place beside the board?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Is your board a dark color? Too dark and the board sensor can't "see" the edge.
    Cure: Apply a strip of masking tape onto the board along the Y-axis where the board sensor travels across the board. Cut the masking tape exactly at the board edges to assure accuracy.

Is your machine illuminated inside? Too much light reflecting off the board can throw off the board sensor, preventing it from seeing the board edge.
    Cure: Turn off the lights inside the machine
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Welcome to the forum. I think you need to explain more precisely what the machine is doing. Are you saying that after the bit touches the board surface, it goes over and bobs at the sliding plate? How thick is the board (over 1")?

What message do you get from the machine?

Hello All, Name is Joe, Have a C-Machine, new style chuck, cut motor 100hr. Just repaired x-axis termination board. Ran UCB long job no problems. Broken blind pin under male plug! Just finished long UCB and trying to run a job in same. Learning how to use it. Keep getting "Insure sliding plate set" 1)Retry 2) Abort". All sensors working! What's the deal? Snowing like crazy here!

Not sure what you are actually doing. The sliding plate prompt comes when the bit touches on the keypad side by the brass roller but then does not find the sliding plate at the right depth when it tries to touch it. You may have the touch blocks of the UCB swapped. The block on keypad side is supposed to be lower than the block on the sliding plate side. (One can also try it without the blocks. The machine will bob three times for the sliding plate and then prompt for the board thickness.)

The board is just 1". It's about 12 x 12 piece of scrap oak plywood for with bought pattern of basket ball player for a UCB test. The machine "bobs" on the sliding plate side three times when findingg board thickness and gives me the message. I thought it may be newly installed lights, so I shut them off, reloaded board routine and got same message. Also reset the sliding late three times. Haven't tryed to load a job without the UCB. Never saw this problem before. I used socket head cap screws to hold attach the rails and counter sunk the far side touch block because thought that may be the problem. Didn't work. The message is "Insure sliding plate set. Retry or abort"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast