Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the art

1. Default

I could put together GIMP videos showing how to make profile boarders, puffing, sweeps and rails, and all kinds of other stuff for free but I don't. Sure seems like you could let me get some business once in a while making custom patterns for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    I could put together GIMP videos showing how to make profile boarders, puffing, sweeps and rails, and all kinds of other stuff for free but I don't.
    Alan, I've seen your tutorials and enjoyed them very much. Great work!

Sure seems like you could let me get some business once in a while making custom patterns for people.
    I don't have a clue what you mean by that. Sorry.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

3. Default

I'm glad you liked the videos. I'm still not going to post them because I want to do custom pattern creation for people.

Well you mentioned getting software after I mentioned my pattern creation services.

Well you mentioned getting software after I mentioned my pattern creation services.
    Ok. The OP asked how he could convert the picture into a carveable pattern. I assume he meant he wanted to know how he could do it himself. He also mentioned any and all help would be appreciated. No one had answered his question directly, so I did.

I do have a proposal for you. I get asked frequently to make patterns/models. I do not have anywhere near the time to do them all. If it is ok with you, I could refer people to you from time to time.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

5. Default

Oh I see now. It really would take a long time for me to do that pattern. But I always give an up front price.

If you refer people to me for work it would be well appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh I see now. It really would take a long time for me to do that pattern. But I always give an up front price.

Thanks!
    My pleasure, Alan!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

A pencil drawn image is hard to do. Different pressure of the hand means different levels of grey which equals different heights.

Scanning an image also has its own issues as the resolution is usually low.

The fact that it is on a ruled piece of paper, is a third road block. It would see those lines, too.

Tracing and modeling is a possibility. Still not an easy pattern to create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thanks!
    "It really would take a long time for me to do that pattern. But I always give an up front price. "

Alright Alen, I'll bite, what would you charge me to manipulate this to a carvable format?

Here's what it looks like in the current state, I played around with it in Gimp and Paint.net
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	60238
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

We're really not talking about making a pattern strictly from the drawing itself, as a graphic-to-pattern conversion!

The drawing is only a guide for importing into modeling software and then drawing actual vectors for the purpose of creating dimensional shapes.
    So, pencil, pen, scan...whatever, doesn't matter. It's just a guide.

Here is a real-world example I made just a few days ago. I drew a breadboard "scene" by hand with pencil on some typing paper. I scanned the graphic/drawing on my flatbed scanner and imported it into Aspire. Then I drew vectors/outlines around all the components using the software's vector drawing tools. The knife photo is an import from a pic found on the internet...I drew vectors of the handle from that (drew and modeled my own blade as a rail sweep).

After vectors are drawn, then modeling can be done. You can see the top half of the pic shows my original drawing (used ONLY AS A GUIDE to draw the vector outlines...I made them red so you could see them better on the screenshot). The bottom half of the screenshot is the result after modeling. This was done in Aspire, but could be done with the CW software Suites as well. Same procedure.

EDIT: I added a pic of my drawing (watermarked!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bread-drawing-example.jpg   my_breadboard_sketch-cleanedup_2.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-23-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added drawing pic...spell correction
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast