Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about pricing

Default A question about pricing

Hi everyone,
    I have a question about what members would charge for these signs. Being from an area of the country that is more depressed than others economy wise, I just wanted your opinions. Both signs are approx 11.5" square Corian or similar plastic material. Both took about 1hr. to carve, and both took about an 1.5- 2 hrs. to paint with water based hobby paints. They are coated with a clear in/outdoor spray lacquer. A key hole slot is carved in the back to be used for display.
    Keeping the state of the economy out of the equation, what would you charge individually for these signs?
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22-11.25X11.25.JPG   11-11.25X11.25.JPG  
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

First off, they are beautiful

Secondly, as for pricing- I think that your time, material, and carving calls for $100ish but the actual market for something like that around here would likely be more in the $40-$50 range. A lot also depends on what market you are selling in.

I know my answer seems low- this seems to happen quite a bit with hand-painted detailed signs... my hourly wage goes waay down on those as well and I'm sure will continue to do so until I get faster (which I will do with practice)

Lawrence

3. Default

Beautiful work Gary.

Nice work. You're pretty fast painter if you were able to get that detail in 2 hours

I don't know what the corian cost but decide what you want to make per hour and add the cost of your material to it for something like this and see what happens. If you sell your work online you can reach areas that might allow you to charge a little more.

I think Lawrence's price of around $100 is what something like that is worth given the investment you've made to develop your skills. Whether others that would buy it agree is another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Give 'em a deal! That's what I always say. Tell them you usually sell them for $100 but right now they are on sale for $60 or 2 for $100! That usually gets them to make you an offer, split the difference and count your money! By the way... Beautiful work!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

What I have learned, mostly area where I live, the rule is, "Wal-Mart customer, Wal-Mart price". And many of those cannot spend what money they have on what we produce. Then when on the Plaza (ritzy place in Kansas City) The sky and beyond is the limit

Oh yea, really a beautiful job!!

Thanks for the responses guys. I just want to know what you would charge if you were selling them. I know a lot of variables play into it, lets just price the corian at say $7.00, $5.00 worth of paint, and $1.50 worth of spray lacquer. so say $13.50 in material. Less taxes, shipping, what would you charge for the piece itself?
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

$13.50x3=$40.50+$10(per carve hr)=$50.50 round to $50
    John

Well in MHO I think in the $60-75 range would be fair, perhaps a little more. I have stopped doing stuff for cheap and I'm still almost too busy. Here are a couple of examples:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1148.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	948.9 KB 
ID:	60214
    This sign is 12x15 on maple. I charged $80 for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1199.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	952.7 KB 
ID:	60215
    This one is on Cherry, 8x10. I charge $60 for them and sell 2-3 a week. Have gotten good enough I can paint one of these in an hour or less.

My strategy is put a price on something that you think you want. If they don't sell start dropping it a little at a time until they start to sell, then you know where the price should be. But I would rather not get a sale then sell something so low I'm not making much money. Customers have to consider the years of time it has taken to aquire the skill you have, all the money invested in tools and so on. You can mention that they will not get a custom item like this anywhere else, painted the colors they want with thier name. If you want custom, you have to pay for it. A body shop will not paint flames on your car for cheap will they? Just my $0.015.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Totally agree! Don't undersell yourself. You can always go down. It's much harder to go up.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast