Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Running Trim

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

@ Bergerud..... Do I have to assign a tool for this once I have the cut path the way I want to be? I tried it on a scrap piece selecting the 1/8" straight tool with a max depth of .125 and it didn't follow the exact same path the second time around...?? Thanks for your help, I sure don't want to scrap out this guys piece of cherry that he's had for years.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I am not sure I know what you mean. The mpc you attached has a cut path with the 1/8 bit assigned and a max depth of 0.250. The bit cuts on the outside of the path. If you simply assign a bit to the path (not a cut path) it will cut down the center of the path instead of the the side. Is that the difference you saw?

When I look at this mpc I don't see a tool assigned or a depth in the tool bar. Can you tell me where you find this information? On this one I did not assign any tool or depth, in fact I selected "no bit" Is this a default for a cut path?
    Wait a min, when I clicked on the cut path icon, the other 2 icons (flip cut out, & hide cut out) next to it turned off, then I re-clicked the cut path icon and the box came up with the 1/8" tool and where you can set tabs ect.... Not sure what I did or didn't do but I guess I just got myself in a cluster $%^# and freaked out a little. Let me try this again. Sorry, and thanks for the help.
    its hell getting old and the 'ol brain isn't what it used to be...
    CarverJerry

If you click on the cut path icon the cut path is removed. If you click it again, it comes back and shows you the dialog box. I was double clicking on that for years and thinking it was stupid. I have found since that you click on the saw blade button (edit cut out) to revise a cut path. I think you are now on to it.

Bergerud, I've made some size changes on this project again but for the life of me I can't get it to light up the cut icon. What I'm actually trying to do is have it start cutting at the center of the radius and end on the center of a radius. I've lengthened the board to 25" to get the end points to the edge but only really need the board to be 20". Can you tell me why the cut path icon isn't lighting up on this one? sorry to bother you but I've spent way too much time on this and Im sure I'm just missing something stupid. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CarverJerry; 03-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    CarverJerry

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Bergerud, I've made some size changes on this project again but for the life of me I can't get it to light up the cut icon. What I'm actually trying to do is have it start cutting at the center of the radius and end on the center of a radius. I've lengthened the board to 25" to get the end points to the edge but only really need the board to be 20". Can you tell me why the cut path icon isn't lighting up on this one? sorry to bother you but I've spent way too much time on this and Im sure I'm just missing something stupid. Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

The following Tips & Tricks may help you with this. (You don't use the Cut Path tool on something like you've laid out. Plus, the Cut Path tool prefers closed vectors.)

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_May08.pdf
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Your path is made of pieces. You need it to be a single curve. With all selected, under view "toggle non end points". The red dots which are still visable are end points. Tweak each of the interior end points with the mouse and they will "weld" and disappear. When all are welded and only the two real end points on the edges of the board are left, the cut out will light up.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You don't use the Cut Path tool on something like you've laid out. Plus, the Cut Path tool prefers closed vectors.
    You can use the cut path tool on any path which divides the board into two regions. It is a topological condition. Closed curves divide the board into an inside and an outside. A path through the board also divides the board into two regions. Granted, safely cutting such paths may require extra care to stay under the rollers but the machine will do it.
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-19-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks a million, I knew it was something I was over looking, got them to dissapear and it lit up the cut path icon.
    @ Mtylerfl....Thanks for the tips & tricks, had read one that was in another post this morning under the thread cut path, but I will read this one too. I'm trying to make some running trim in cherry using a sled.
    You guys are great.
    CarverJerry

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast