Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Running Trim

As an exercise to see how wonderful these tools can be, use them to draw a rectangle with rounded corners as follows: With connected lines and snap to grid on, quickly draw a closed rectangle with 45 degree short segments in the corners (eight sides in all). Now adjust the position of the vertices if your quick draw needs it. Click the change to arc button on the utility toolbar and click on each of the four 45 degree corners. Presto, rounded corners of exactly the right radii!

Now if you want to alter the figure by dragging points, things will go wrong. Arcs will misbehave. Change all of the arcs back to line segments, drag the points and then convert back to arcs. The figure behaves when it is all segments.

This is how I have learned to draw shapes. Use connected line tool to put all of the vertices in the right places and then convert to arcs and splines. If I do need to edit a part of the figure, I convert the nearby arcs and splines to segments, edit, and then convert back.

Bergerud, don't give up on me, yet, I ran into a designer problem and had to restore my computer back to factory as my designer would crash everytime I tried to use that tool bar. So now I'm just getting all my license's activated and everything reinstalled.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Ok, I think I got my computer working ok now and all my license' updated. Now will someone take a look at this for me and tell me if this will work. Do I need to group these all together after I made all the copy and paste across the board? Thanks, I'm hoping this 'ol dog is picking this stuff up a little.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

If you want to make the curve a cut path, you have to connect the pieces together and have the beginning and end on the edge of the board. Now you have it as a bit path which does not cut through and follows the middle of the curve as opposed to being on the side of the curve. To get rid of the bit path, select all, select bit, then no bit.

Now for the cut path: Select all. Then under view-toggle non end points (or ctrl-e). With snap on, tweak the extra end points to make them disappear. Now it is all one curve but it also has to make it to the end of the board. Either stretch it, add a small segment, or shorten the board. The cut path button will light up when it makes it to the end, and then, you can make it a cut out.

Ok I think I actually learned something. Once I zoomed in real close I see where the end points were and once I joined them it disapeared. I added a line to the end to extend it to the edge of the board. Think this will work now?
    CarverJerry

Looks good to me. I have never done a cut like that. Will it be on a sled? Leaving the rollers while cutting is always risky.

I almost all the time use a sled and NEVER leave the rollers, thats just asking for trouble as the board is only held down with one roller. I do thank you for your support, sorry I'm not as savvy as a lot of you guys, but I'm learning.
    CarverJerry

Another Bergerud, If I copy and paste this above and flip it so I can cut 2 of these out of this board why can't I make the cut path icon light up?
    CarverJerry

Playing around with this I locked the edge point to 0.0 and then it showed the cut path, not sure what I'm really doing but it worked.
    CarverJerry

If you had used the snap grid, it would have worked. Both ends have to exactly make it to the edge of the board. Moving without the snap would always leave one end short of the board edge.

With the snap to grid on, copy, paste, flip, move to the top, and the cut path will come back. Then, I think you will have flip the cut.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast