Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Trim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Running Trim

Would anyone by chance have a pattern that would be close to this shown in the picture. If I were to do this in designer using a cut path for the shape, and I know that I couldn't get the sharp corners in the bottoms because of the 1/8" tool dia., does the path have to be closed? Meaning the ending point and the starting point connect? I want to make a board at least30" long with this design. Can anyone help me out on this? thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trim.JPG  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

The path does not have to be closed for cut path but it does have to cut the board into two pieces. The path can start and end on edges of the board.

Why not just use a band saw and drill press ... Or run it in your carvewright but don't go all the way through, then finish up on a band saw so you'll get your sharp inner grooves..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Well then do I need to have tabs on this to hold the pieces together so they don't get jammed up along the way?
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Tabs and/or a sled.

I can't determine if this is supposed to be a moulding profile, or the shape of the end of the board.

Jerry it is very simple to make in designer. First place a grid on the board, and set it to be .25 (layout, snap). Now click the snap to grid, and choose the arc tool under the circle on menu bar. Place the first point, on left side, and count over 12 spaces (12x.25=3.0). The arc will be too high so grab the center of the circle and lower it to the 6th line from the bottom. Now for the upside down V. choose the line tool and starting the the arc end (look for the star to join it) clik then count over 3 spaces and up 3 spaces and click again. Do the same for the other side of the line going down. Copy and paste as often as you want.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

If you want to make the curve a cut path, you have to connect the pieces together and have the beginning and end on the edge of the board. Now you have it as a bit path which does not cut through and follows the middle of the curve as opposed to being on the side of the curve. To get rid of the bit path, select all, select bit, then no bit.

Now for the cut path: Select all. Then under view-toggle non end points (or ctrl-e). With snap on, tweak the extra end points to make them disappear. Now it is all one curve but it also has to make it to the end of the board. Either stretch it, add a small segment, or shorten the board. The cut path button will light up when it makes it to the end, and then, you can make it a cut out.

It's moulding, going to make like a serving tray and that will be above the table part as a border. A friend of mine ask if I could do it but I really don't think I can, so any pointers would sure help. Would you use the grid to get everything the same all the way down the length of the board. It's only going to be 1/4" thick. I'm not sure what it would even be called besides running moulding.
    CarverJerry

Looks good to me. I have never done a cut like that. Will it be on a sled? Leaving the rollers while cutting is always risky.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast