Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circles inside circles for a sign....

Default Circles inside circles for a sign....

Horrible title, I know, but I'm not sure how to phrase it. A friend of mine sent me this picture of a sign and wanted me to make one like it. It looks so simple, and I'm sure it probably is, but I must be missing something. Basically I tried circles doing carve region, and I can get a deep carve for the outside ring but it can only go that far. I try to do another inside and I get nothing. I know it's something simple and I'm probably just too tired for it to click in my little brain, but would appreciate any tips I can get.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michael Hobson.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	61075

I thought I would play with some circles. Check this out. I have used merge subtractive and get what I was trying to get. But, if you change the order of the circles in the carving list, the results change. I was unaware that the carving list order affected anything.

For example, move the circle 1 to the top of the list. Is this something I should have known about??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I thought I would play with some circles. Check this out. I have used merge subtractive and get what I was trying to get. But, if you change the order of the circles in the carving list, the results change. I was unaware that the carving list order affected anything.

For example, move the circle 1 to the top of the list. Is this something I should have known about??
    That is beyond strange. I played around with it for a few minutes and it gave me a head ache. I thought the carve list was an organizational tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post

I don't think I have ever noticed that "conciously"...I tend to move so fast and intuitively, that I wasn't paying good attention, I guess! Very interesting. Definitely something we need to ask about so we can become more familiar with what is the expected behaviour, etc.

In Aspire (another software I use), it does indeed matter what order components appear in the list there - especially when using differing merge styles....the last in the list being the most dominant (the last item created appears at the bottom of the list). Component order can be rearranged as necessary (as is apparently so with Designer as well).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

How you group items on the carving list has a effect as well as the order.
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    How you group items on the carving list has a effect as well as the order.
    Yes, indeed - grouping is a powerful tool
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very interesting, I was trying to achieve something like this a while back and never could get it right, definitely needs some experimenting.

dave

You know, I made diagrams for what all of the merges and clippings did and tried to get it all figured out, yet, every time I used these features, it always turned out to be trial and error. With manual pictures wrong and this carving list behavior, it is no wonder we have a hard time! I still have not figured out whether this carving list behavior is a bug or a feature.

well that was interesting, just tried that and it went good...just a combo of merge and inverts

Sorry to highjack your thread jmoriearty.

I think the carving order thing is a bug . The order seems to matter only for two subtractive merges. To see the bug, just switch the order of subtract 1 and subtract 2 in the carving list of the attached mpc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast