Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Trim

Is this what you are trying to do? If it is, I first drew a horizontal connected line with vertices spaced at 0.75 - 0.75 - 0.75 - 3 snapped to a grid of 1/8 spacing. Then I lifted the second vertex to the 0.75 to make the triangle. Then I converted the last line segment into an arc and lifted the center of it to 1.25. Then I drew the 3/4 circle in it and made it a cutout. Then I copied, pasted, and moved the whole creation over and over to take up the length of the board. With everything selected, I tweaked the overlapping vertices to connect the whole path together and then made it a cut path.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-21-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammer

Why not just use a band saw and drill press ... Or run it in your carvewright but don't go all the way through, then finish up on a band saw so you'll get your sharp inner grooves..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Bergerud, that is what I was looking to learn to do. Thank you. Now I'm going to give it a try myself and see if I can't make it work. I'll still have to use my bandsaw to the the sharp corners cut out but didn't want to do 6 feet of this using the bandsaw alone. Thanks guys.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry it is very simple to make in designer. First place a grid on the board, and set it to be .25 (layout, snap). Now click the snap to grid, and choose the arc tool under the circle on menu bar. Place the first point, on left side, and count over 12 spaces (12x.25=3.0). The arc will be too high so grab the center of the circle and lower it to the 6th line from the bottom. Now for the upside down V. choose the line tool and starting the the arc end (look for the star to join it) clik then count over 3 spaces and up 3 spaces and click again. Do the same for the other side of the line going down. Copy and paste as often as you want.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

This is a simple path and so there are many ways to do it. When making more complicated shapes involving line segments and curves, I find that to make the whole path using connected lines first. Move all of the vertices around to where you want them and then, lastly, convert the segments you want to be arcs and curves to arcs and curves. This way you avoid the annoying problems associated with trying to move vertices attached to arcs and curves.

Bergerud how do you convert a line segment into an arc or circle?

Check out the Utility Toolbar. View-Toolbars check the check box on utility toolbar. You are in for a treat if you have not seen it before!

I can help you with that DFX import to make a file Jerry. Here's one I laid out a week ago to cut out shelf components and the cut paths were drawn to end off the sides of the boards. Yes the cut path when assigned left tabs at strategic points although I probably specifies too many. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Concept design credit goes to Jason Allan as I admired his shelf at last year's Woodworking Show table setup so I made one too with the CW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0063-001.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	772.6 KB 
ID:	60200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	60198 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	941.3 KB 
ID:	60199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	60201
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Thanks Capt. Bruce. Well I did find the tool bar you were talking about Bergerud, didn't know that was even there, but I must be as dumb as a box of rocks as I can't figure out how to make it do any thing. Is there an instruction page for these tools somewhere?
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Page 64 in the software manual:

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...are_Manual.pdf

I use these tools all the time. I have the drawing tools and utility tool bar down the left side of the program window for quick access.

You can add vertices, remove vertices, break segments, change segments to and from lines, arcs, and splines.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast