Thread: Help with Lithopane

Default Help with Lithopane

annie&susan.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	annie&susan.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	66502Need help with lithopane for my wife. I've read the tips and tricks on lithopanes and I think I have followed all the steps but I'm not confident that it is correct. Could someone with more knowledge look at the enclosed mpc to see if this would work. I would really appreciate it. I have enclosed the mpc and picture I want to make into a lithopane. Thanks again for any help. Here is the picture I will have to post mpc later. It is on my home computer and at am at my shop.

2. Default

I don't have lithopane view that is in version 2.0 but I do many lithopanes and it looks good to me. All the settings look correct.

Roger,

I can take a look at it tonight on the lithopane viewer if you like and let you know.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Here it is in the lithopane viewer with 1/4" thick board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lithopane.png  

The suggested settings on Tips and Tricks work best on 1/4" boards. Your board was set at .75. However, if you don't have 1/4" you can use 1/2" and still get a good carve if you play with the depth setting a little. I haven't used 1/2" so if some of you have let us know what a good setting might be. Here is 1/2" board with a setting of Depth: 280 and Height: 450. As you can see it is not as bright/sharp as the 1/4" board picture posted by bergerud with the .180/450 settings. You might try at an even deeper carve to make it a little brighter/sharper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annie&susan.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	66509
    George

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Geomoo1 View Post
    The suggested settings on Tips and Tricks work best on 1/4" boards. Your board was set at .75. However, if you don't have 1/4" you can use 1/2" and still get a good carve if you play with the depth setting a little. I haven't used 1/2" so if some of you have let us know what a good setting might be. Here is 1/2" board with a setting of Depth: 280 and Height: 450. As you can see it is not as bright/sharp as the 1/4" board picture posted by bergerud with the .180/450 settings. You might try at an even deeper carve to make it a little brighter/sharper.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annie&susan.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	66509
    Good catch, I did not check the board thickness. I do not think most people would even have 3/4 inch cast acrylic or corian so this is probably an error. I do find that 1/4 inch gives you the best lithopanes. I tried 1/2 inch corian once because some was given to me but was not happy with the results.

Darken in the eyes on the horse or it will look like two small head lights.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

that held it's ground.

The setting I use is 180 Dept and 450 Height
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

that held it's ground.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I do intend to use 1/4" corian. My mistake on the board thickness. Again thank you for everyone's help.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Ive carved on 1/2" corian, it worked very well

Quote Originally Posted by Icarver View Post
    Good catch, I did not check the board thickness. I do not think most people would even have 3/4 inch cast acrylic or corian so this is probably an error. I do find that 1/4 inch gives you the best lithopanes. I tried 1/2 inch corian once because some was given to me but was not happy with the results.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"