Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ER11 Adapter for the CT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    I think you have an excellent idea, but I think it will be easier for most folks to replicate by starting with a 1/2" shank collet chuck.
    I see two problems with starting with a 1/2 inch shank. First is that you would have to buy an expensive holder because you need would need the accuracy. Second, the holder would be way too long. If you want to make an adapter which fits in like the CT press on adapter, you really have to turn a holder down. I even turned off some of the extra threads which the nut did not reach. The thing has to be compact.

I will see how much Maritool would charge to make these things. Maritool would make high quality, hardened works of art. He quoted me at $138 each for ER16 spindles back in the day. These adapters are much simpler. If they came in under $50, I think they would be worth it.

I see two problems with starting with a 1/2 inch shank. First is that you would have to buy an expensive holder because you need would need the accuracy. Second, the holder would be way too long. If you want to make an adapter which fits in like the CT press on adapter, you really have to turn a holder down.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. On mine I just turned down the tail end so it sit up in the recess on the CT. (the CT spindle necks down to around 3/8" up inside. That is not really needed though as it would be better to just cut it to length. Buy a stubby ER11 collet chuck with a 1/2" shank and cut off the tail end.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Here is the one I have been using. It is a 1/2" shank stubby ER11 collet chuck. About 1.25" of the tail end was turned down so it fits all the way up in the CT chuck. This preserves the left hand thread set screw that is used to provide a 'preset' for the tool. The preset is not really needed though (on the CarveWright) so it could just be cut off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000377.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	60030

When I first tried this on the old QC chuck I looked into having some made up (made in USA) but the run-out from the QC made it not worth doing.

My adapter fits right up until the nut hits the chuck. (Sorry, I have to go to class.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Here is the one I have been using. It is a 1/2" shank stubby ER11 collet chuck. About 1.25" of the tail end was turned down so it fits all the way up in the CT chuck. This preserves the left hand thread set screw that is used to provide a 'preset' for the tool. The preset is not really needed though (on the CarveWright) so it could just be cut off.
    When I first tried this on the old QC chuck I looked into having some made up (made in USA) but the run-out from the QC made it not worth doing.
    I am sorry, I did not get it at first. You found an extension which is 1/2 inch all the way. That would be great. Too easy! Lets find a source for those.

I think the standard ER11 threads are actually bigger than 1/2 inch and so that part of the extensions that I have seen are slightly larger than 1/2. Your threads also look coarser.

I have looked at the stubby chucks. They seem a bit expensive and they have thicker nuts.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...S_010=308-0018

The nut is about the same size on the USA made unit I have as imports I got a hold of. The threaded end in the USA unit is actually shorter. The nut has to be stout to resist flexing when it is being tightened or the collet won't seat properly. The splined nuts are actually a little better in this regard as the nut will not deform as much as a hex nut will. The hex nuts are more convenient though.

I sent an email to my contact at Craftsman Industries to see what it would cost to get them made up to directly fit the CarveWright. I'll let everyone know what I hear. I think you are right bergerund that it would be most convenient for folks to be able to have a number of them so that they can have all of their bits pre-mounted.

Good one Jeff. They seem a little expensive to have many on hand. One also has to buy the collets.

Funny about the threads. They seemed larger than 1/2 inch diameter on all my ER11 holders. I will check again when I get home. This was what made me think that the holders would always need turning. I thought the body would always be larger than 1/2.

I have measured the thread diameter of four of my ER11 holders. Some from China and some from the US. All measure the threads to be near 0.55 of an inch. The shank near the threads measures the same. Turning the shank to 1/2 would completely remove the threads. So, I am at a loss to explain how the stubby threads could be the same or fall under 1/2 inch. There are ER11M threads but they are much smaller and finer I think. (I gave my only ER11M away so I cannot measure it.) I am puzzled unless they are ER11M threads..

Here is the adapter in my friend's CT. I have to say that this is a really good thing. Look at those cheap bits! A 3/16 and 1/8 cutting bit worth less than $10 each. (Note the 1/8 cutting bit has only 3/4 inch LOC so there is less fear of breaking it.)

There is a run out problem to worry about. I carefully and foolishly turned the adapter down to 0.5000 only to find that the CT bore was 0.5025-0.5030 when I got to my friend's machine. I do not understand this. I have only seen one CT and so I do not know how much they vary. It seems to me that my friend got a poor one. The CT carving bit adapter is 0.4990-0.4995 and so his carving bit does wobble. I think this is a great idea but it is really important to get a close fit. I am now going to make a new adapter at 0.5025.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ER11 18.JPG   ER11 316.JPG  

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast