Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ER11 Adapter for the CT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ER11 Adapter for the CT

The CT chuck is nearly 1/2 inch higher than the other chucks. This extra space was what I used to slip the dust shoe between the chuck and the board. Well, I just found another use for the space: an ER11 adapter. I just made one out of an old ER11 spindle that I had laying around. It is very simple to make from a cheap Chinese ER11 collet extension (pictured in the background). The neat thing about it is that you clamp it onto a bit and then put it in the CT chuck. It is a variable size adapter. It will hold any size bit from 1/32 to 1/4. I have not had a chance to test it yet but I will this weekend on my friends C machine. I do not think it will run as true as a full ER spindle. But think of the possibilities!

EDIT: From later on in this thread (post 86). ER11M adapters made in China on ebay at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-1-2...item41756bc469
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails er11.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-30-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Definitely pulling up a chair for this one!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

You have my undivided attention Dan
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Got my 2 I ordered Fri they look good used one Sat and works great I already had 1 I bought with 6 collets a wrench and nice box from issacr had to cut it myself cost was $317 plus tax!

I just ordered 2. Estimated arrival is 30-Sep. Now if I wasn't so deep in another project I could get back to my CarveWright. Withdrawal is horrible.

You got my attention also , will be watching
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I've been doing this for a few yeas now, glad to see others trying it. I modified a US made 1/2" shank collet chuck to work with the Quick Change chuck about four years ago. The run-out was so bad with the QC that it was not satisfactory. With the CT chuck it does work much better and it makes for a nice choice. I bought a few of cheap import collet chucks to give it a whirl and was not impressed with their quality. There are many levels to cheap import quality, sometimes you get a good part, sometimes not.

For folks wanting to make something like this my suggestion would be to start with a 1/2" collet chuck and cut it down to size, i.e. cut down the length. This way you will be certain that the tapered bore is exactly in-line with the shank, and both have been ground to specification. You are still stuck with the run-out inherent with the CT, about 0.0005" on mine, but it does let you use a wide range of bits.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

The one I used was made by Craftsman Industries. You can find them at Enco and MSC Direct on sale in the $60 range at times. They like to charge about $100 when not on sale.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

It sounds like you like 1/2" shanks. In that case, you should keep the CT and use an ER11 adapter for the small bits. I do not like the straight ER11 spindle. It is too hard to change bits on the machine with the small collets and small nut. My favorite is the ER16M. I think the ER20 is too big. As for inertia, I have wondered myself. It seems to me that the extra rotational inertia of a big chuck does more harm than good. It is hard on the flex to always spin it up. The argument that inertia helps in the heavy cutting makes sense when the heavy cutting comes in short pulses. That was another reason I went with the ER16.

Another problem with the straight ER spindle is that of changing bits in a multi-bit project. If you do not have a lock button, the two wrench method gets a bit tedious. If the shank sizes of the bits are different, you have to also change the collet and nut. When you take all of this into account, the ER11 adapter starts to look good. Having a set of them going in and out of a CT would be a sweet setup.

(Remember to email Jeff if you are interested in an ER11 adapter. Lets not let this important message get buried in the thread.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-05-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast