Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ER11 Adapter for the CT

The cheapest collets I have found are at: http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...ets/Categories #F5800

Collets can cost quite a bit more if they are higher precision and American made. I think for our the woodworking application with the CT, these are fine. The runout from side clamping the adapter in the CT is more than the runout of the collets.

The wrench is at: http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...ers/Categories #F86

For higher quality collets, I have used: http://www.shars.com/product_categor...h/?search=er11
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-24-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added Shars

Well he added the wrench but increased the shipping. I guess there is no free lunch! Those who were quick may have saved $5. It seems a little expensive, but at least you get everything you need in one shot. (If you ordered it before he added the wrench, make sure you send a message about the wrench.)

I cannot wait for you guys to try it. Start browsing for 1/8 and 3/16 end mills and ball mills you can use.

Thanks bergerud, It's nice to know. That a good word was put in.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The cheapest collets I have found are at:

Collets can cost quite a bit more if they are higher precision and American made. I think for our the woodworking application with the CT, these are fine. The runout from side clamping the adapter in the CT is more than the runout of the collets.
    It is a common misconception that run-out is less of an issue when working with wood. About a year ago I talked a good customer of mine, that cuts mostly balsa and aircraft plywood, into buying a better router motor for his large format router table and getting some precision collets. He was skeptical to say the least. After the change over his bits last 1.5x to 2x as long and he gets better quality parts being produced. It cost him less than $200 to upgrade and he has saved that much on bits in a year. I'm not selling him as many bits but he is happy and a satisfied customer.

Run-out comes in two flavors. The first type is where the axis of the tool and spindle are parallel but offset. You can think of it as the tool being off center of the spindle rotation. This type of run-out is not as bad as it is consistent no matter how far from the spindle you measure it. The other type of run out most folks would characterize as 'wobble', this is where the axis of the tool is not parallel to the axis of the spindle. With this type of run-out the further down the tool you go the more run-out you will measure. For a really good write up on run-out and why it matters take a look at: http://precisebits.com/tutorials/Choosing_collets.htm , and http://precisebits.com/tutorials/spindle_runout.htm .

You can buy 'good' collets for $10~$20. I have some that I bought several years ago made by ETM in Israel, they were not expensive and have worked very well. Buying tooling made is China is a crap shoot in my experience. If you have a known good supplier and your own quality control lab set up to verify the accuracy of what your getting then it can be OK. For example compare what you get form Grizzly tools and harbor Freight. While there products look similar and are both made in China the quality of what Grizzly sells is much higher. Caveat emptor
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I agree with you on the runout. My ER20M spindle was turned from one I bought from Maritool, my main collets are also from Maritool and Shars. It is just that, from my experience, the runout due to clamping the adapter into the CT is an order of magnitude more than the runout in the adapter collets. Thousandths Vs ten thousandths. ( Hundredths for some of the QCs) As long as the runout is in the ten thousandths, I am happy. But for that I think you need an ER20M spindle.

Here is a test for those with the CT. Put a small piece (1/4" long) of Scotch tape on one side of your pressed on adapter and see if it still fits into the CT. It does for the one I have. The tape is about 0.002" thick. If it fits, the runout from clamping will be at least that.

It looks like he sold 17 and then ended the listing. I see he now has 10 more up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-1-2...item41756bc469

It does include the one wrench although it may look like two.

bergerud , I sent the e-mail asking about the wrench and he said came with it,....I said .....GREAT!!!! thank you My FRIEND..

Has anyone received there ER11 Adapters yet?

Just paid for mine yesterday with 3 collets and a spanner wrench. I will post when it comes in.

FXP
    Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

My order came in the mail today. I was one of the early purchasers when the listing did not offer the wrench. I had one already, so not a problem. I will try it out this weekend.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast